LOVING my truck! glow plugs fixed!

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt want to junk up the other guy's thread i commented on, so i started my own. this is my second IDI truck, the first was an 88 cab and chassis 7.3 IDI 5 speed the only thing i did was built a flatbed for it (should have kept it too!) never had to touch anything mechanical! this truck evidently had a lazy previous owner, in two days, i fixed the dipstick tube leak (my fault), the return fuel lines and just got done replacing the GP relay with a DieselRX relay, and that took care of the cold start issues! i LOVE how simple, cheap and easy these trucks are to fix (so far). fingers crossed!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it working out for ya..

Be wary of the non stock relay especially if it was considerably less costly than a stock one.

Keep it up and it's going to be a new truck one part at a time!;Poke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Truth be told. The relays we sometimes use will stick closed and burn the plugs too long ruining them. Mel found this out after he replaced his oem solenoid with an after market one that stuck closed but he got it cleared before damage was done. Opened up the oem and the replacement one and did a great show and tell at a rally. The oem just simply wore out but the new one was made cheaply with sub standard parts. So it was going to fail like it did. We do have a few parts that are best purchased only from Ford. But yes.. Our engines are simple to keep running easily and generally not very expensive either.. Compared to what the duramax or psd engines cost to repair.