Lots of Blow By

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours sounds about like mine. I've been told to check for two sure indicators of whether it is a minor problem or a major problem. First, with it idling, pinch off the hose to the CDR then take the oil filler cap off and try to seal the oil filler neck with the palm of your hand. If it builds more pressure than you can easily hold back with your palm it may be serious. Secondly, with the filler cap off rev the engine. If the blowby dissapears by 1000-1500 RPMs, it isn't too serious. If it doesn' then it may be a signficant problem.

Fortunately for me, mine passes both those tests. I am giving it the AutoRx treatment though, just to see if it improves. I have to say that stuff blackens the oil, like RIGHT NOW. I haven't driven mine a full 100 miles since changing the oil and adding the AutoRX, and the oil looks black enough to be ready to change already. I have to assume that it is so black because the AutoRX is cleaning all the gunk out of it.....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yours sounds about like mine. I've been told to check for two sure indicators of whether it is a minor problem or a major problem. First, with it idling, pinch off the hose to the CDR then take the oil filler cap off and try to seal the oil filler neck with the palm of your hand. If it builds more pressure than you can easily hold back with your palm it may be serious. Secondly, with the filler cap off rev the engine. If the blowby dissapears by 1000-1500 RPMs, it isn't too serious. If it doesn' then it may be a signficant problem.

Fortunately for me, mine passes both those tests. I am giving it the AutoRx treatment though, just to see if it improves. I have to say that stuff blackens the oil, like RIGHT NOW. I haven't driven mine a full 100 miles since changing the oil and adding the AutoRX, and the oil looks black enough to be ready to change already. I have to assume that it is so black because the AutoRX is cleaning all the gunk out of it.....

Thanks, I'll try those.

And how much was the AutoRx stuff, I dont know how much it would require so I dont know how much to buy. Cause I plan on doing it this next oil change.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try those.

And how much was the AutoRx stuff, I dont know how much it would require so I dont know how much to buy. Cause I plan on doing it this next oil change.

IIRC it was $56 for 2 bottles - which is what you need to treat an engine with 10 quarts of oil (like ours). If I see some significant improvement, I may end up running a second dose.....

$56 is cheap - if it helps. Even $112 (two treatments) is a bargain if it pretty much solves the problem.

Time will tell....

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blowby......

when you test for blowby does the engine have to be hot? i had the fill cap off the other day shortly after starting it and there was none - but i just got the truck and have not checked when the engine is hot.
thanks,
paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always had less blowby when it was first started. A turbo will often create a bit more since it puts more pressure on the engine internally plus you monkey around with the crankcase ventilation system no matter if you use a CDR or road draft tube.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quantity of blow by is very subjective. The video was pretty poor, but I didn't see anything that would upset me. You really need an RDT so the fan isn't blowing it around, which can make it seem like there is more than there is.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just got another vid, its much better........I think LOL. It has more blow by that you can see come out, but it goes away when I rev it up a bit. Its uploading now ;Sweet.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin I'd not worry about that at all, mine is way worse than that. For a turbo and 100K plus miles I'd say that is good.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know what you mean cheepers, i ran a bottle of stuff called rislone engine treatment and the oil was pitch black and it probbly had a couple hundred miles on it. i could not believe how black the oil got so fast, but i did pick up 10 more pounds of oil pressure. i went ahead and drained it and put two bottles of auto-rx in, i hope its as good as the price is but its a hell of alot cheeper than a rebuild (if it works).

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey Justin. That amount of blow-by doesn't seem to be a
large amount. If it pours out of every possible orifice and
crack, then I'd be worried. But from what I can see,
I'd say two thumbs up and it's all good. If you wanted
to add Lucas or some other additive, it never hurts. :)

rickrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I must be lucky, my 83 with an indicated 114,000 (Im sure it must be actually higher than that) has absolutly no blow-by at all coming out. You can literally not see anything, not even a slight haze.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frequent oil changes early on, help quite a bit.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you've got over 100k on the thing , a couple of treatments of Auto Rx is a good investment. You'll be amazed at how much better the things will start cold with old crud cleaned out of the rings. There are very few engines that couldn't benefit from a good cleaning unless they've had excellent fleet type maintnence from new. Even then, there's usually a pretty stout varnish layer buildup with a carbon crust in the ring grooves Even when run on synthetic.
That auto rx cleans better than anything. Regular changes cant compare.
I pulled a foreign 6 cyl diesel with 250k on it apart after auto rx andit was so clean insideI just washed the pistons off with a can of brake parts cleaner and stuck the new rings on and poked them back in, no ring groove cleaner needed, The old oil control rings were clean and free a few months later, I had an identical engine with only 60k on it,ran on all synthetic( mobil1), meticulously changed, pulled it down, spent an hour or so with the ring groove cleaner on each piston digging the carbon and varnish off. The oil control rings were clogged with carbon and binding.

So yes, the stuff is worth the money.