Lots of Blow By

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright guys, here we go again LOL. I'll try not to freak myself out here, but I have problems. On the drive home I decided to go ahead and max my truck out speed wise, which is about 90mph :D, I held it there for a good mile, EGT's never got crazy so all was good. Anyways, I pull into our driveway, drive up the driveway all is good. I park it and decide to go and pop the hood to check things out. I pull the oil filler cap with the truck idleing and man I have some serious blow by. Like a crap load, with the truck idling and the fan blowing and everything the blow by can be seen for a good foot above and back before it disapates to where you cant see it. I'm thinking that this is a bit to much, so what can I do to check things out? I really dont want to go digging in on this thing. Can I just use some Auto-Rx and see if that helps things out?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they sell this stuff at most auto part stores, and its better than the auto-rx its called (keepyourfootoutofit)LOL . nah just playing i couldnt resist, when mine started getting a lot of blowby it turned out to be i had bad head gaskets. i changed the head gaskets and new injectors and no more blowby.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
they sell this stuff at most auto part stores, and its better than the auto-rx its called (keepyourfootoutofit)LOL . nah just playing i couldnt resist, when mine started getting a lot of blowby it turned out to be i had bad head gaskets. i changed the head gaskets and new injectors and no more blowby.

And what is the basic principal behind this "keepyourfootoutofit"? :D

I suppose it could be headgaskets, a couple more months when summer comes I'm already planning on changing them ;Sweet, hopefully they will last that long LOL

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL i know mine was horrible, you could have it running and it would even pour smoke out the oil dipstick with the stick in it LOL.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if mine needs the same thing. My CDR is filling with oil pretty rapidly. I am not seeing a lot of blue smoke but I do see a little on start up.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, I dont see any sort of smoke except black at cold start up. Like it was 28* this morning, and I went and started it up. After the initial black smoke startup, there isnt any smoke for a good minute, then it will start to push out the white smoke, but not like its eating water white smoke, just the water vapor looking smoke of a cold engine on a cold morning if you know what I mean.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if bad headgaskets in a 6.9 cause excessive blowby. Its usually from bad rings. What you're describing doesn't sound the least bit bad or unusual. Maybe you could get us one of those 15 second videos of it. Better than nothing. I would just run it and make sure you keep plenty oil in it. Its not really excessive blowby unless you are low on power or compression, have it puffing to the tune of one or more pistons instead of all about equal, indicating busted rings or cracked pistons, or you use a TON of oil like more than a quart every couple hundred miles. I figure this thing will last you for a good while and then you'll either upgrade it cause it was in the family or move on to a PSD or a Cummins in a few years. I think she'll be good till then, with the possible exception of the head gaskets and oil cooler, but those are a rite of passage for IDI'ers. My 2 cents.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well Justin, if you really want them head gaskets to last until summer then I'd go get some of that stuff jtate told you to get from the parts store.
Im serious, you cant expect those old head gaskets to hold up to those kinds of pressures.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's just an incomplete burn. You have to have at least 300-400 EGT to really completely burn your diesel.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well Justin, if you really want them head gaskets to last until summer then I'd go get some of that stuff jtate told you to get from the parts store.
Im serious, you cant expect those old head gaskets to hold up to those kinds of pressures.

Its just so hard to do that though :D. But your right I should.

And the blow by doenst seem to be in the tune of one cylinder.....I'm going to go get a vid. It'll take me 20 minutes........

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
when you were checking her out under the hood, did you check out the blow by when into the throttle by any chance??

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i know when i first bought my truck it used to smoke like a freight train and had really bad blowby, to the point that it was embarrassing to see smoke coming out of both sides of the hood especialy after it was good and warmed up. then that one day i climbed under the truck while it was running and saw it pumping bubbles and water out between the head and the block. so i tore it down and put new head gaskets and 8 new injectors and i didnt have a drop of blowby, and still dont have any to this day.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Here is the vid guys, sorry it took so long. It is a crappy vid, and you cant see any of the blow by coming out of the filler really, but it is. And after watching it, it seems to be at the beat of a cylinder, but that just might be me. I have one of the dipstick tube as well, and its even worse, but I just put this one on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAewkFXZN5I

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks about like mine Justin. The blowby out the dipstick is not the best sign but it need not mean anything too bad. Are you sure that the intake is not loose or leaking in any way? This condition shows your true blowby but makes it appear worse than usual by not putting enough backpressure on the crankcase. Also are you sure that the crankcase is not overfilled with fuel/oil...this will cause excessive blowby. What are you doing for a CDR and how is it hooked up?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats good to know, though it was worse earlier today. But after watching it, it appears to be doing it on the tune of one cylinder, though I might just be super paranoid (I am :D)

Oil is about a quart low, but its been a couple hundred miles since I did an oil change, so it seems to be about on par as far as oil consumption goes.

The CDR is on the drivers valve cover, and feeds into the stock ATS CDR tube inlet after the filter. It feeds a pretty good amount of oil into the turbo, though I havent looked in a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online