Lost Keys

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy lost the keys to his 86 F350 with a tilt column. Anybody know what I can do to get it going? I was thinking of using slide hammer on it. I could hotwire the truck easily enough but the locked wheel is the problem.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slide hammer and purchase a new complete tumbler set or go to a wrecker and get one....

ONE other option would be to remove the wheel...and then the lock cylinder and use the good ole push the rod method to start the truck till you get a replacement cyl....

JM2CW

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He called a lock smith, it was surprisingly easy. He had it going in about 20 min. I watched the whole thing and I am fully confident I could do the same. Basically all you do is file a edge on a blank key and turn it with some vise grips so the cylinder impresses the key, file a little where the impressions are and repeat until the key works. Pretty cool.

Anybody else got any techniques for future reference?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I have seen some pretty neat locksmith work too and they make it look easier than it is! :) The guy at the prison showed me how good a master lock is. He took a standard, blue rubber bottomed laminated lock, told me when the second hand hit high noon to yell go. 32 seconds later, the lock was open. He then took a black bottom industrial master lock, did same, only this time it took him 48 seconds! I always thought those were pretty good locks too! Anyway, he makes keymaking look so simple anyone could do it, and I'm sure in this case they could, but it might take a little more time.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO DOUBT!!!! I wouldn't claim I could do it in 20 min or even an hour but it looked like a simple concept. If time was on my side like my truck was in my driveway and I didn't need it I think I could make it happen. I used to have a bronco with no door key, if I had known it would have been cool to make one.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen a good locksmith hand-fit a key that way before too. I guess the real trick is to develop a feel for how hard to work it with the vise grips to make impressions you can see - but not hard enough to do damage to the tumblers in the lock. You damage the tumblers and they can end up jammed in the lock and you're actually in just as bad or even worse shape than you were to start with...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ever hear of a "bump key"...... Just don't get caught with one in your position or you will see the bars from the wrong side.....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
locks keep out honest people, a set of bolt cutters can go a long way. it is cool to hear the trick though. i have seen videos of guys making keys with aluminum cans and thin metal like that.

just park beside some nice trucks when you are out so there is always a higher target to get taken instead of yours.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I always thought those were pretty good locks too! Anyway, he makes keymaking look so simple anyone could do it, and I'm sure in this case they could, but it might take a little more time.[/QUOTE] want a dang near pickproof one?? buy the good lock with the name american on it--i bought one to lock my chain come along down--from a locksmith. he told me, dont lose that key, cause their near impossible to pick!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online