looking to buy early 99

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
hello all. im a IDI and 12v guy who has found a nice truck at the right price. ive read up a little about early 99s and SD trucks in general.

only thing i dont like is the automatic... i like them but my wallet doesnt. not looking for a hot rod just a newer truck that can do some moderate/heavy hauling.

244k... have no idea yet if the trans or anything else has been changed. carfox lshows a company truck then maybe the employee bought it. explains the low mileage after first owner.

im not spending too much on the truck because of a trade in that i have little money into. im getting a loan too. i dont have the best credit so im not being too picky. :sly :hail

i love the white work truck with manual hubs and full options but standard trim seats. stock aluminum wheels and it does not look beat... well the seat looks a little worn. ill be seeing the truck on SAT.

can anyone help me point out any issues when im test driving. transmission? engine. any shops near tracy that will do a proper pre-purchase inspection?

You must be registered for see images attach

zpd307

Reaction score
my e99 will pull anything that it needs to. granted i have done some stuff to it as you can see by my sig. but nothing major. if you do buy it, get a 6.0 tranny cooler. your transmission will thank you for it..... the stock 9 row is pathetic. i put the 26 row in, there is a 31 row. there is plenty to read up on buying a used powerstroke so i wont retype it.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
How is your power with the smaller injectors and Turbo? Is your mileage better because of it? I heard the early 99 trucks spooled differently.

Ugh dana 50 front.. at least its solid.

Yes I read about the coolers. Im glad its not in the radiator. I'd rather have a cooler with thermostat

my e99 will pull anything that it needs to. granted i have done some stuff to it as you can see by my sig. but nothing major. if you do buy it, get a 6.0 tranny cooler. your transmission will thank you for it..... the stock 9 row is pathetic. i put the 26 row in, there is a 31 row. there is plenty to read up on buying a used powerstroke so i wont retype it.

zpd307

Reaction score
i wouldnt say mileage would be any different. i have a dually and i can get 16mpg at speeds below 70. after 70 the mpgs go down fast. i got 14.5 headed west on i-80 at 72 mph, heading to colorado for an elk trip in sept. the only e99 parts on my motor are the turbo, intake manifolds and idm. i put in ad's from an 02, i put in a computer from an 01, and have an adrenaline hpop. with a manual boost controller and the superchips on high i can get to 26 psi in a real hurry... i need to get a boost fooler and it would probably go higher. the other upgrade i would recommend is a newer computer. before it the truck would always jump out of overdrive while pulling loads or going up grades, very irritating. now it stays locked in no matter what and just keeps boosting. with all my supporting mods the egts never get over 1150. you just have to remember the e99 takes different rotors, unit bearings, and track arm. oh and check the airbox really well, the first design sucked and was prone to breaking. ford did have a recall on it so it might have been changed already, but mine was still stock ad broke...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Have you had any major breakdowns? Any big $ thrown at it besides injectors?

i wouldnt say mileage would be any different. i have a dually and i can get 16mpg at speeds below 70. after 70 the mpgs go down fast. i got 14.5 headed west on i-80 at 72 mph, heading to colorado for an elk trip in sept. the only e99 parts on my motor are the turbo, intake manifolds and idm. i put in ad's from an 02, i put in a computer from an 01, and have an adrenaline hpop. with a manual boost controller and the superchips on high i can get to 26 psi in a real hurry... i need to get a boost fooler and it would probably go higher. the other upgrade i would recommend is a newer computer. before it the truck would always jump out of overdrive while pulling loads or going up grades, very irritating. now it stays locked in no matter what and just keeps boosting. with all my supporting mods the egts never get over 1150. you just have to remember the e99 takes different rotors, unit bearings, and track arm.

zpd307

Reaction score
most of what i have done including injectors was to upgrade. i found a good deal on the injectors and they only had 90k on them. same with the adrenaline. the truck has only failed me twice. it needed a starter solenoid, no big deal was able to jump the posts, and a stuck ipr, and i was able to ether it. i was out in utah elk hunting. i replaced the turbo when doing up pipes, exhaust manifold bolts and glow plugs. there was some play in the shaft, it wasnt dead yet. i rebuilt the tranny by a buddy who owns a tranny shop so that it was bullet proof for piece of mind. i was advised that the clutches were burned. otherwise i have done a lot of maintenance, i am **** that way. i did the hutch mod because the fuel mixing chamber in the tank was sucking air at 1/4 of a tank so i took it out.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online