Lifting bracket turbo install question?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang!

Just getting started with the ats turbo kit install on my '90 7.3
the ats manual says to remove the lifting bracket and replace it with the heat shield and bolts . The used kit that I have didn't come with the heat shield. Two questions, how important is the heat shield? And are the bolts that hold the lifting bracket able to be cranked down or are they too long and need to be replaced with a (1/4"?) shorter bolt? Of course I could just add a couple of washers to take up the lifting bracket space, but since down pipe clearance is so tight, I'm thinking that I might need the 1/4"... thanks all!

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they can be tightened down or not, i think i replaced then on my truck, but i can't remember for sure what all bolts i replaced, i found a parts list for the 093 and went to the hardware store and bought every nut and bolt it said came with the kit just to make sure i had them all lol

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that I'm not sure about, I'm inclined to think they put it in the kit for a reason, but the ats instructions also tell you to leave the engine engine harness laying under the turbo(which i think is ridiculous), so I'm not entirely sure how important it is, on my truck it's basically just guarding the glow plug wire and keeping heat away from that injector line so I'm not sure its doing much

if you needed one you could probably make it out of a license plate pretty easy

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea on the importance of the heat shield?
you can get some exhaust wrap and achieve the same results or better, I didnt have any heat shield or wrap on my banks kit but may do it

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can get some exhaust wrap and achieve the same results or better, I didnt have any heat shield or wrap on my banks kit but may do it

Thanks! I've got a turbo blanket that Bill FORDF250HDXLT suggested on the way, so I'm good on that end. Do you know if I need to washer the bolts?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those bolts won't tighten down all the way without the lift bracket installed. At least that's what I was told. I always changed them from one engine to the next when swapping out engines.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I've got a turbo blanket that Bill FORDF250HDXLT suggested on the way, so I'm good on that end. Do you know if I need to washer the bolts?

are you referring to the lifting eyes on the intake manifold? I don't have an ats kit but am curious

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok iirc yea those bolts are longer, if your not going to use the lifting brackets it might be good to throw some shorter bolts in there or washer/spacer just for getting the intake manifold down tight.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok iirc yea those bolts are longer, if your not going to use the lifting brackets it might be good to throw some shorter bolts in there or washer/spacer just for getting the intake manifold down tight.

Yeah, that's them. Now that I've started the installation, the truck is down and I'm without a ride to get shorter bolts. If clearance isn't an issue, I can dig around for some washers or I could cut the bracket up for spacers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online