Lift pump

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got it running again.took the pump back off again and had my buddy crank it while I held the pump against the cam.had him stop and bolted it back on without moving it.

What a pita for a simple fuel pump replacement.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 91' F250 I.D.I. and the best accessory I have installed is a Facet Duralift electric fuel pump. Easy to install and the regulators are readily available at your local auto parts stores. These pumps have different inlet/outlet combo's. They aren't cheap, I finally found one for under $90.00.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to point out that I've done at least 3 fuel pumps on these trucks so far, with no issues. Just insert it at a downward angle, and then /force/ it into place(usually depressing the lever halfway in the process) and bolt it in. Took me maby an hour for the whole job.
Hardest part is getting to it in the first place, especially on the older trucks with the vacuum pump in front of it.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Bull 8 is correct, if you are going to rpl. the mech. fuel pump now you can look forward to doing it again sooner or later, get a Facet Duralift elec. pump, you will be VERY happy you did.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he wants electric he can do it himself.im not into wiring and plumbing up an electric pump on a customers vehicle.

Cam lobe junk?put a cam in it or take to someone else.been a mechanic over 20 years,i don't have the patience for this **** anymore.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he wants electric he can do it himself.im not into wiring and plumbing up an electric pump on a customers vehicle.

Cam lobe junk?put a cam in it or take to someone else.been a mechanic over 20 years,i don't have the patience for this **** anymore.

Might be time for you to retire then :dunno. Installing these mechanical fuel pumps is a very easy job, but does take a little getting used to if you've never done it. When you were installing it, the arm was positioned off to the side of the cam lobe. To get it back on track, loosen it up and point pump in the downward position, then direct up until you feel tension on pump. Then bolt it up. Easy business. These engines are very "mechanic" friendly.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not my first rodeo with doing one of these.at the moment it's sitting in the guys driveway dead again.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the fuel pressure checked once it was running again? Because it will run for a short time with the arm incorrectly positioned on the camshaft but will fail soon after. A sign that it was not on the camshaft right would be low fuel pressure at the head probably about 2 or 3 psi vs about 7 psi if installed correctly. Or was the fuel pump the problem to begin with? Maybe it could be another mechanical problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online