Lift pump vs Injection Pump CC

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
I am looking at 150cc injection pumps and seem to remember you cant run the mechanical lift pump after a certain cc but cant remember where that point is. What's the max size injection pump you can run on a stock mechanical lift pump?

Second question which ties into the why on the first question... Are there any electric lift pumps that will hold up to wmo use?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe 90cc maxes out the stock lift pump. I am currently running the holley black on my 110cc ip and it should handle your 150cc ip just fine. With wmo I do not have any experience with it however the holley pumps being a vane pump should be able to handle the thicker fuel of wmo with minimal losses.

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm pretty good at cleaning and thinning out my mix to keep it close to diesel. I have looked at the holley reds. I may just buy two and keep a spare in the toolbox just in case. I have frame mounted filters (BF1212) between the tanks and switchover valve also. Do you think the holley red will have any problem sucking through a filter?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The holley pumps are push pumps not pull pumps so the more restrictions on the inlet, the more issues you can get. On my truck, I set up a 50 mesh screen to act as a pre-filter to protect the fsv and lift pump. The benefit is, there will be very little restriction and the main fuel filter can capture any small contaminants on the outlet of the lift pump.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013MBAEE...abc_HRFR72SR0WYKFGC07XX0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. What about placement of the pump? Do you think the switch over valve would have any issue with the pump mounted on the tank side of it? Just planning the plumbing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't use the Holley Red. It won't be able to keep up with your 150cc IP. If you're going to use Holley, just buy the Black in the first place along with the pressure regulator/bypass set up. If you don't, you'll just be throwing away your money by buying two Reds and then buying the rest of what you'll need to feed that IP.

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
Don't use the Holley Red. It won't be able to keep up with your 150cc IP. If you're going to use Holley, just buy the Black in the first place along with the pressure regulator/bypass set up. If you don't, you'll just be throwing away your money by buying two Reds and then buying the rest of what you'll need to feed that IP.

Thank you. Another pump I was thinking about is the stock powerstroke frame mount pump. Has anyone ever tried that one?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You'll have to search around, it's been done, but You'll need a regulator with it's own return line to drop the pressure.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
I'm going to have to think more on that one. Will the Holley Black require a return line at the regulator? I'm just trying to figure the two tank plumbing in my head

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Will the Holley Black require a return line at the regulator?
Yes it will. There's one or two Walboro pumps that will give you enough fuel. Any of them that can supply your 150CC IP will need a regulator and a fuel return. This why I'm going to draw from and return to just one tank when I go with an E pump. I'm planning to use the stock front tank to run the engine off of and a 33+ gallon rear tank with a transfer pump to refill the front tank. This will also eliminate and possible FSV issues since I'll be bypassing it.

ChevellRCR

Reaction score
I have been doing a little reading and think I may be able to get by without a bypass regulator. The one that may work is a 12-704 holley. It is recommended for use with the black pump. Also reading a little more into this pump it free flows 140gph. The filter I'm running currently is the Baldwin BF1212 and flows 210gph at 1psi and is a suction side only filter. I think the filter will work but I wont truly know until after I try. It's mostly for water separation for just in case contamination

My current setup is a stock size front and rear tank but the front tank I have an aluminum tool box fuel box tank that holds 91 gallons. This is where I run the wmo. I run pure diesel in the rear tank for startup and shutdown flushing.

Back to the regulator and pump. If I can truly dead head this pump with that regulator I can mount it all on the frame just on the engine side of the FSV. That way I protect the FSV from contaminants with the filter and also protect it from the undue stress of the pump as it will be on the engine side.

Thoughts and or comments?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One thing that the fuel does, other than actually run the engine, is to cool the IP. The fuel that's constantly under pressure from the Holley pump will get hotter than it normally would by constantly recirculating back into your tank. Exactly this affects the performance of your IP I can't say for sure. I can say that this is the biggest reason to run a bypass regulator with these high performance electric pumps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance