Lift pump pressure

BBB

Reaction score
I installed a fuel pressure guage at the filter head. It runs around 5psi at idle and light throttle, at full throttle it drops to 0 or near 0. Any thoughts. I am thinking it would be a good time to do a electric pump

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dirty side or the clean side? I'd replace the filter if you're on the dirty side and then think about a pump. Beauty of mechanical pumps is they pump more when the engine needs more, more or less

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you checked it all out. Only other test I might try is pulling from a clean container of fuel to eliminate any supply issues. Kind of hard to do while driving.

I'm happy with my mechanical pump. If I was to go with an electric, I'd go with a bypass regulator and see what pump wes has been flogging.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case I would be buying a new motorcraft lift pump, got mine on Ebay for about $30.

An epump is only an upgrade by spending something around $150 just for pump and reg. Need a pump with GPH over 45 and also a bypass regulator, plus all the plumbing on top of that. Nothing wrong with it and if you want to go that route do it right and search around the site for installs, there's a few out there with great info and pictures.

If you were thinking about a Facet Duralift it will do exactly what your lift pump is already doing, I've been there and done that. I kept mine in parallel for priming and incase the mechanical dies itll drive ok but that's all it's good for.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont suggest running a electric and mechanical.
honestly it sounds like you pump is absolutely perfect dont change it. that is exactly what every good pump i have tested ran at. I honestly wouldnt worry about it, run it!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont suggest running a electric and mechanical.
honestly it sounds like you pump is absolutely perfect dont change it. that is exactly what every good pump i have tested ran at. I honestly wouldnt worry about it, run it!
The motorcraft lift pump I got reads 4-5psi at all RPMs and loads, that is how they should be. I hooked up a pressure gauge and verified this pulling hills and such not just revving in the driveway.
The IP is calibrated for a constant 5psi inlet pressure and so that's what they need. Varying inlet pressure changes your injection timing in a bad way and you'll lose power and MPGs running the pump with a 5psi swing in inlet pressure.
I know this from my own experience and really love the performance and MPG gain from the correct lift pump now that I finally have it. I ran just the Facet for years.

To be clear it'll run like OP described forever so it's not going to hurt anything mechanically, just performance and MPGs.