lift kit

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to lift my truck up a little bit and have no idea what is involved in doing it. I would appreciate some pointers and where to buy the kit, thanks

86 F250 2 wheel drive.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I don't think anybody is making kits anymore, especially for 2WD. There was a company that made pre-runner packages that included new front I-beams that were made for taller coils. Your best bet for a simple lift is a 2" body lift, and bigger tires. Lifting the back is no problem, with blocks and longer U bolts, but the 2WD front presents many challenges. You might be able to use a lift kit for a Bronco of similar vintage if you can find one. The front supension of a 4X4 Bronco has more in common with a 2WD F-series, then does a 4X4 F series.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking into the same thing. Rancho makes lift springs for the truck and bilstein makes 5100 series for the F250 but it needs to have a lift. Lift the truck then get the beams bent to correct the camber. Same thing they do on the F150. I plan on calling rancho and talking with there guys on if there is anything they recommend spring wise, they might have one that is stronger that will compensate for the diesel engine. Possibly something from a newer SD.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Yeah I want to lift the front of my 2wd just to level it out with the back, but I didnt find much on doing it. Going to swap a dana 60 in when I can find one.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i know how you feel. Looking at the front end, the F150 and the F250 is almost the same, the 250 has larger beams and has bigger radius arms. looking at ranchos data the F150 and bronco use the same spring, only thing the bronco has is dual shock setup while the f150 has a single front shock. It helps working for an automotive company so i can go through vender data. Right now im waiting for our contract with bilstien to start up so i can try out some 5100s all around.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright well i have now lifted the front of my truck, I ended up using stock 4x4 superduty springs and rancho shocks.. Just look:

before:
You must be registered for see images attach

Now:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It is a but weld. The weakest weld. On something so important as the TTB mounting bracket i would have just a we bit more support:dunno But maybe thats just me

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK either? the guys who did it work on race trucks and the like, so im pretty sure they know more than me about how strong something needs to be?

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks great Chris, I really like the way it sets up; level, not too high, not too low. Just right. With a definite lack of "kit" resources available for your truck, I think you did a fantastic job!

tknomaj

Reaction score
superlift makes a kit but you would have to get diesel springs made. And NO I Would not trust that butt weld the front end weight of our trucks is way more than a gasser and most people lifting these in Kali are making preRunners and shifting the weight to rear some thing we would not do

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, well first i will address what i like about this setup.

For the diesel f250 there is really nothing out there aftermarket wise, i have spent the better part of a year looking at the possibilities that i could persue. I would for a company and could get my hands on almost anything from any aftermarket company. Be it rancho, skyjacker, superlift. The biggest problem i had was everything was designed for the F150, the springs, the nicer shocks. I have emailed our venders asking questions, talked with some of the other data guys and my friend who owns his own shop. Two weeks ago i was presented with the idea of trying out a set of superduty springs out of what looked like a 2006 2007 F250 4x4, who converted to a KORE kit. The springs came with Rancho shocks. Now it is as you see it.

The truck rides 100x better than before, my stock shocks were shot, my springs were sagging, and i now have more than 2 inches between my beam and my bump stop. With the drop brackets i gained usable travel, and a level look.

I dont know how to weld, if i did, things might be different... The guys that helped me out do this kind of work for a living, they live and breath this kinda stuff. As far as weight is, my IDI is a light weight, with only 3000 lbs over the front axle, im a lot less than any gas crewcab and on par with any 460... I dont tow, i dont get super loaded down, all i wanted was a truck i could take camping out in the desert with. I now know that that weld is not the best, and ill keep an eye on it, if i see a crack ill get the thing fixed better than it is. But all in all i am very happy with the way it turned out, it sits nice and level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726