Life Span of a PSD?

flyndubya89

Reaction score
How many miles can these engines live, generally speaking. I'm looking to buy my first truck, and would like an IDI, but I've been looking at a few cheap PSDs as well. I have found one on craigslist that has 350k on it and a rebuilt transmission. The ad only states that it is becoming hard to start, could that be a major problem or something simple like bad GP relay or the GPs themselves? Any advice is appreciated.

yoslick

Reaction score
Well with proper maintenance they should last 350-400k and then be ready for an overhaul, injectors if original are about shot at 350..

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of them have gone 500K with proper maintenance. The hard starts are most likely glow plug or gpr related but I would look into it a little prior to pulling the trigger on it.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Plenty of them have gone 500K with proper maintenance. The hard starts are most likely glow plug or gpr related but I would look into it a little prior to pulling the trigger on it.

yup--guy in wash state--builds boats--and read the article where his had gone over 500 bills, with just minor things--never touched the mechs of the engine---was still going strong--sooooooo. pulled his LARGE boats to retailers all over the usa--

joemac

Reaction score
In my experience the short blocks are capable of 500k+. The problem is all the supporting hardware. Accessory drive, injectors, turbo. Then you have the maintenance on the truck like ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box, tires, transmissions. Pretty much the truck will fall apart long before the engine.

I still think it's cheaper to repair this stuff than buy a new truck.

gem6.9

Reaction score
psd life

hello, my 97 psd has over 342000mi. on it, but you always are going to be fixing something that will wear out , ive fixed alot of stuff and when you do you have that good feeling that the part is new agin.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
There are a few tow trucks around here with over 600,000km of hard use....A dropped valve is usually what finishes them off in the end from what I've seen. The bottom ends are very strong and last well.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im considering updating from my current truck (6.9 idi) and am heavily considering other trucks. mileage wise, how does the powerstroke compare with the duramax and cummins? im leaning towards powerstroke but all the ones i see around me are 9k with over 200k miles.. and i dont want a gas powered truck.