Let there be light!

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Some details: I bolted a set of headlight buckets from a 78 F100 to the radiator support. The housings are ebay specials filled with DDM Tuning HID bulbs with the shrouds removed.

Please note! These will be used with HIGH beams or off road only. THEY WILL NOT BE USED NEAR ONCOMING TRAFFIC.

And work lights..

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
And then there was light.... Nice setup.. I suppose those would blind some fool thats tailgating you too....:angel:

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I like the LED bars but they are super expensive. I spent $3.80 for the buckets at a u-pull, and if i had wanted to use them i already had a good pair of bulbs from converting to e-codes.

So excluding the cost of the H4 housings and HID bulbs, it cost me less than $4 to put in a second set of headlights. I did buy another factory grille just in case i want to remove these at some point.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Each pair of lights is on its own (fused) relay. They were dirt cheap at the junkyard so i bought a bunch of them. :D

The exception is the worklights which all 6 are on a single relay, but there are two power wires coming off the relay, each feeding 3 lights. Those wires are run inside the pipe that makes up the bar. The lights ground through the base, into the pipe, through a heavy wire to the frame.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Im guessing you upgraded the alt to handle the draw? How big of an alternator did you go with?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
sweet cant wait to see them in person for a second then ill be blind for life

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Looks sweet! You could light up a whole field and work all night. LOL

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Gives me an idea to see if modifying the slant nose headlight doors would accept over under lights, then move the directional signals into the grille. In 67-72 GM pickups, Chevy had two lights while GMC trucks had 4. More looked better.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
:D He might move out of the way though....

And if it's a small animal i'll just have to stop and grab it...it'll already be cooked...

I would also like to thank LCAM for the idea.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! I think that all which makes the typical ebay-special HID conversions so wrong for public roads can actually be useful in off-highway situations where fairly unfocused light all over the place is pretty much just what you're after. I do have to caution you on your overhead floods wiring tho - you have 6 x 55W lights all together for a total continuous draw of almost 30 amps, you're likely pushing the limits of both your relay and its fuse w/ that (unless you used a 70-amp relay and a maxi-fuse). Remember the general rule of thumb is to keep the continuous draw at 80% of the load the components are rated at, my personal spin on it is no more than 200-220W of lights (so four normal ones, or two of the 100W kind) per single 40-amp relay. So I'd suggest that you split your overheads into two separate banks, you already have two power feeds from the relay to them so it shouldn't be much more work to just add another relay and fuse in tandem w/ those already in use (common trigger and ground will work fine, no need for separates there).

One concern I have w/ LEDs is how cool they run - I've driven thru some snowstorms bad enough that the nice and hot halogen lamps had trouble melting all the white fluff that tried to stick to them, I'd imagine LEDs in those conditions will quickly cover w/ snow and force you to pull over and clean them. Should be no problem for LEDs used as work or backup lights tho. Recently there was a thread on the ExPo board about some "no-flashy-brand-name" LED light bars that actually worked real nice and were of good quality and very reasonable price, about $40 per 6-pack unit IIRC, lemme see if I can find them again...

By the way Otahyoni, I recently scored a pair of PerLux 600-series fogs for $17 - will need some parts, but even then I'll have in them less than what Hella wants for one of their good fogs or driving lights... Eat your heart out, lol!