Leaky fuel tanks & JB Weld

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well, Got the tanks home and installed the rear thank. Guess it was time since the PO never reinstalled the lower straps and just set it basically on the skid plates. :eek:
It was just a short time fore that was gonna happen. That was the easy one. Could use the impact wrench on those bolts. gonna need some time and plenty of PB to get just the skid plate off the front tank. NO ROOM! I filled it up full for the weekend drill drive time and am just at 240 miles on that leaky tank, 19 gallon, gonna run it dry as the gauge doesn't work and driving with the finger on the selector switch just in case. Was a PITA on the rear as there was still about 5 gallons left in that one and got a big surprise when the skid plate came off. -cuss -cuss .
Smoe fresh paint and a good layer of rubber between the straps and all is good for one so far. Least now Tim and I would have to stop at the same time for fuel ifn' Goldie doesn't get the front one changed it time for the rally.
Russ I need another 2 weeks to get ready. :Sly LOL

Ron

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
You guys got to stop talking like this!!! I check under the truck today, and it looks like the rear tank is leaking from somewhere on the top forward side. Going to have to drop it and at least see if it's the lines or ??? I am going to wait till it's at least under 1/4 tank though, I just filled it yesterday :(

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
This project is DONE! :rock: :party: :Thumbs Up
2 new tanks and found that the front tank sending unit float was cracked in several places.
I gotta love keeping junk around. Had the junked sending unit from Big Red my 85 460 gasser wood hauler and was the same. ;Sweet
Now I know how much fuel Goldie has on board. :D

Ron

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
JPR said:
the is a special two part epoxy stick that is designed for fuel tank repair. It is about like clay, just mix the two together and apply. It will get hard in a few minutes.

Do you think that stuff will stick to a "wet" tank? I have the truck up on ramps right now so the fuel isn't dripping out anymore...but if I wipe it down the area still gets wet after a couple minutes.
I just need to it get through the weekend. Then I want to find a 30gal tank where I can still use my spare tire under that back and have a little more capacity. I saw one somewhere...but forgot to bookmark it.

Reaction score
Pretty sure they make "Wet" JB weld for this very purpose. I've never used it, but maybe this will work for you.

I've heard a lot of positive things about that tank epoxy that comes in a plyable stick. You just knead it together in the quantity that you need and apply it to your roughed up hole. I've got a stick in my glove box for an emergency. Figure I can probably patch the oil pan with that stuff if the need ever arises.

Good luck,

Paul

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Well...the one side went on good and seemed to stick nicely. Then while applying to another pinhole the tank shifted and it started leaking. So I did as instructions said and pressed firmly until leak stopped...it mentioned a reaction with the gas. Except the leak didn't stop and the clay stuff fell right off! It would not stick even a tiny bit after that. Me thinks it was meant for gasoline only...and the oily #2 prevented it from sticking.

So I whipped up some JB like stuff...wiped the tank down and layed it on thick. Stuck like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth. ;Sweet Then I ran a bead of that around the other clay patch just for good measure. The first patch didn't leak...so hopefully it stuck good. At this point I still have more faith in the epoxy then the "gas tank" clay. Maybe there is some better stuff out there meant for diesel? It was only $3.00 so it worth a shot.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
6point9diesel said:
...apply it to your roughed up hole....

:eek: ;p :rotflmao

Sorry. Couldn't resist. School started for me this week and we haven't even had any students yet. Those poor kids don't know what they're in for with me! LOL

Reaction score
Fiver,

Good to know you at least got it patched up. Yep never used this stuff, but you can bet I'll be putting some JB weld in the Glove box

Trout,

I was going to say G-Box up there, but I figured you'd catch that one as well :rolleyes: