leaking gear oil

jose.castillo.921025

Reaction score
are there any how to videos on replacing the rear axle bearings. I have drum brakes. are there any special tools needed?

1986 F350
crew cab
6.9 IDI
C6 transmission

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Do you need new bearings, or are you leaking gear oil? If leaking gear oil, where from? Outside of wheel or inside? If outside, you need a new flange gasket (newer axleshaft flanges use o-rings). If inside, you need to replacing the hub seal. May have to take the hub off and determine which type of seal you have. Some are like spindle seals on the front axles, they have a lip on one side and you just press 'em into the hub. Some, like the cab and chassis axle I put under Bruiser, use a 2-piece "scott seal" (I think it's called). They are WAY larger and more expensive. They also don't normally pop up on a auto store's parts fiche.

jose.castillo.921025

Reaction score
Yeah it's leaking oil from the inside. it's not the brakes. I just figured since I'd have to take it apart anyway I'd go ahead and replace the bearings too.

1986 F350
crew cab
6.9 IDI
C6 transmission

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Parts stores have axle tube bearing pullers for their slide hammers. Some axles don't need one because the bearing placement is at the end of the tube.

Do you have a D60 rear axle or a Ford Sterling 10.25"? I could take a pic of the info/exploded views of the Haynes Big Red Bible, but I'm a few states away visiting in-laws until tomorrow evening. You can Google exploded views after you determine what axle you have.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your rear diff cover have a fill hole?

If so a Dana 60 style axle if not likely 10.25 axle

Either way if inner seal hub comes off...10.25 requires special socket for hub removal/instalation.

D60 can usually be done with punches but correct socoet is preferred.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It would be helpful if I could remember the size for the D60 hub nut. I remember when I helped my buddy swap a D60 into the Dodge Ramcharger he once had, we looked and searched for about a week for the proper socket. It's a stamped steel, thin wall socket for a 1/2" drive. A Google search should turn up the proper size and an ebay/amazon search should get you the socket. If it's a Sterling 10.25", just about all the parts stores stock it on the shelf. Large, 4 prongs with a protruding center. That center is a guide. I had to grind mine down all the war around just a bit. It was to tight to make contact with the spindle lock nut. Works like a charm now.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill hole in diff cover = dana... no hole 10.25...unless someone swapped aftermarket cover on there

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Like riot said, look at the cover. If there's a plug, it's a D60. If it's smooth, 10.25".

Plus,

D60 = 10 cover bolts

Sterling 10.25" = 12 cover bolts

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the bearings are still good it would be a waste to replace them with the made in China ones that are being sold now. The two part Scottseal is the way to go. PN#34384 was the one I liked, easy to install without pounding on it. Your brake shoes are probably no good now. Get he tool and remove hub. The bearings and seal are in the hub.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
OMG this thread is doomed!!!!!!!
Someone brought up a spindle nut size and proper socket, and someone else referred to it as a 12-bolt!!!!!!!!!
:rotflmao:eek::shocked::eek::fan:;Poke

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online