Keep it or replace it?

CarrollShelby8

Reaction score
Hey guys I've had a few gas Fords in my life and my current truck is a '97 HD 5.8L with 255k. Its a work truck and a daily driver. There's a bunch of work it needs, probably uses/leaks a quart of oil a month depending on how much I drive. I was thinking about replacing it with a 1990 7.3 NA IDI with a little bit of work done to it, but still needs a few things. I have no problem with mechanical work, but never owned a diesel before.

Everything I've read about the NA 7.3 is good, except its slow. Its a work truck, so I don't need to be fast, but will I hate the difference? Sometimes I trailer cars around, but that's about it. Its probably overkill for my towing needs, but I was more thinking of the reliability factor. I'm also a fireman, so I need to get to work in the worst weather without fail.

How much more life can I really expect to get out of the 5.8? Anyone ever owned both? Preferences?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Own both. 95 4 door centurion on 35s with np435 swap and np208 transfer case also running 3.55 front and rear. 1991 f250 6.9 idi (I rebuilt it in place of 7.3 idi) with 4.10 (quite common) and added a stock idit turbo. Also own an 85 idi crew cab dually 4.10 also with t19 and someone already put 7.3 in 6.9 place that im currently rebuilding. As far as the simplicity of either idi and reliability I really have no problems. Unless I goof something up my 91 idi starts every time and doesn't have problems. As far as the 5.8 I don't tow much with it but wen I do the mpg suffers alot but also never gives me any issue. My 5.8 has 347,415 right now and only simple maintenance and accessory changes. ( egr water pump battery alternator and AC compressor) it has a bit more trouble with loads than the diesel but always gets me a to b and I play in that one a good bit. The diesels fuel mileage fluctuates a little with large heavy loads but not like the 5.8 and doesn't struggle as much and in my 91 I'm usually overloaded pretty good. Can't really ask that of the 5.8. Had really good luck with both honestly. But I will tell u this. The idi is ALOT SLOWER and can be a bit annoying at times. As to why I put turbo on it which helped alot. Next step is 3.73 gears in back to really give it more hwy speed at lower rpm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online