Just got my 1st diesel

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the back up lol and I can't figure out how to upload pics yet but when I do they'll be up here

As for the down pipe I'm not really sure I'll check into it

wmoguy

Reaction score
With the price of diesel $$$...go buy an old Corolla for school (40 mpg) and let the truck sit ;)

Nah just run WMO blends. we have the BEST diesels to do this in, IMO.

Here's the math, based on my own vehicle doing this:

94 IDI running WMO Blend (made by me)
.61 per gallon "all in" to make it
Pickup avg's about 14 mpg with me behind the wheel.
It works out to 4.8 cents per mile in fuel costs to drive it

vs.

Small Economy car that avg's 35 mpg
Fuel Price of $2.89 per gallon
Car Avg's 35 mpg
This works out to 8.25 cents per mile in fuel costs

vs.

94 IDI running Diesel at the pump
3.99 per gallon
It works out to 31.92 cents per mile in fuel costs to drive it

I say burn the WMO blends, save 50% in fuel costs over a small economy car I'd hate driving anyway (and certainly would not want to be in a wreck with) and enjoy what I drive, laughing all the way to the bank. :)

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
What does WMO stand for? Lol

Waste Motor Oil

These things burn a blend of Waste Motor Oil ( filtered of course) and Kerosene/Diesel/Gasoline and do it very well. Venture on over to the alternative fuel threads and check it out. I'm just among many that are doing it, have done it for a long time, and without overly annoying issues from this alternative fuel. If you have the means to get WMO for free (which isn't hard to do in mass qty) you've got a great fuel supply. You just need some equipment and a place to filter your used oil and blend it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Question is if your parents will allow you to filter WMO in the garage, shop, etc. My parents would have probably shot that idea down quickly.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah just run WMO blends. we have the BEST diesels to do this in, IMO.

Here's the math, based on my own vehicle doing this:

94 IDI running WMO Blend (made by me)
.61 per gallon "all in" to make it
It works out to 4.8 cents per mile in fuel costs to drive it

vs.

Small Economy car that avg's 35 mpg
Fuel Price of $2.89 per gallon
Car Avg's 35 mpg
This works out to 8.25 cents per mile in fuel costs

vs.

94 IDI running Diesel at the pump
3.99 per gallon
It works out to 31.92 cents per mile in fuel costs to drive it

I say burn the WMO blends, save 50% in fuel costs over a small economy car I'd hate driving anyway (and certainly would not want to be in a wreck with) and enjoy what I drive, laughing all the way to the bank. :)
Ha, you won't be LOL for long > sooner or later you will be adding in the cost of a new IP and Injectors. No way (and I don't care how you filter it)...are you removing the micro fine soot and carbon/abrasives from WMO.
WVO I would consider but WMO in time it will bite you in the a$$.;Really

wmoguy

Reaction score
Ha, you won't be LOL for long > sooner or later you will be adding in the cost of a new IP and Injectors. No way (and I don't care how you filter it)...are you removing the micro fine soot and carbon/abrasives from WMO.
WVO I would consider but WMO in time it will bite you in the a$$.;Really

I've already done a thorough write up on this very subject, but for the uninformed and uncalculated I'll go thru the math with you here...

Cost of New IP and Injectors (quality ones) readily available for a total of $600-700.
Typical Lifespan of said IP and Injectors on Diesel is commonly agreed upon 100,000 miles of good life out of it.
Lets assume for a minute you are "right" and that WMO blends decreases the lifespan of these parts, by a LARGE decrease. We'll say you only get 50% life out of these parts. This makes the IP and Injectors good for 50,000 miles. (How's my math so far?)

FUEL costs of running my IDIT for 50,000 on Diesel

50,000 Miles @ 14 mpg Average
3,571 gallons of Diesel used x $3.99 a gallon (you better hope those prices don't go up!) = $14,250 in Diesel Fuel Costs

vs

FUEL costs of running my IDIT for 50,000 on WMO Blend

50,000 Miles @ 14 mpg Average
3571 gallons of WMO fuel x .61 per gallon = $2178.31 Total Fuel Costs

Grand Total Savings in 50,000 miles running WMO blend = $14,250 (diesel driven) - $2178.31 (Wmo driven) = $12,071.69 SAVED - $700 for new IP and Injectors (if they went bust) = $11,371.69 NET SAVINGS in 50k miles........

Before we go down the road of whether it hurts other engine parts (WMO) I can tell you I've seen the innards and heads of my IDIT w/ ridiculous blends of WMO run thru it, it looked every bit as clean as a 230k mile diesel engine that spent its life running Diesel only.

Feel free to shoot holes in my math...........thus far its working for me and many others on this site and others...... I'll continue laughing my way to the bank each time as others complain about Diesel prices. I'd much prefer taking some risk on abrasive soots (btw, my fuel is filtered to 1 micron or less, your diesel is 5 microns on a good day, particulate size is particulate size) It's not rocket science to realize that fuel prices AREN"T going down, probably ever, so when pump prices increase, alternative fuels just look that much more financially sensible. Anyone that chooses to continue to think conventionally and wants to give THEIR money to Arab Princes that would rather see you dead in the name of the Koran seems more foolish to me than someone who looks for ways to shave off costs, and fund their kids college fund and retirement accounts with the savings........

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am not sure why there is a lot of negitive feedback, I mean I drive my IDI for about 8 minutes each way to and from work. A tank of fuel lasts me like 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. I know it's not compact car mileage, but it's ain't BBF mileage either. Talking with my buddy tonight, my IDI will SMOKE his 2006 Chevy 4.3 V6 auto and it is pretty comparable to his 4 banger 1991 Hilux.

If you want more power, you need to spend some serious coin. Moose pump, injectors, torquer cam from Typ4, and intercool it to start. If you REALLY want to get into the power....AND wallet, lower the compression ratio, slam an SM362 turbo on it, studs and water injection will net you some bigger numbers.

These engines aren`t known for having big power, they are known to sip fuel, run forever and haul WHATEVER you need them to. All I am trying to say is if you want big power, you have the wrong engine. If you want damn good mileage, reliability, good sound and an engine that you can actually work on with fairly basic tools...then keep what you have. My engine has over 310 000 miles on it and it still runs like a top. I am building a monster though, slowly but surely!

wmoguy

Reaction score
I am not sure why there is a lot of negitive feedback, I mean I drive my IDI for about 8 minutes each way to and from work. A tank of fuel lasts me like 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. I know it's not compact car mileage, but it's ain't BBF mileage either. Talking with my buddy tonight, my IDI will SMOKE his 2006 Chevy 4.3 V6 auto and it is pretty comparable to his 4 banger 1991 Hilux.

If you want more power, you need to spend some serious coin. Moose pump, injectors, torquer cam from Typ4, and intercool it to start. If you REALLY want to get into the power....AND wallet, lower the compression ratio, slam an SM362 turbo on it, studs and water injection will net you some bigger numbers.

These engines aren`t known for having big power, they are known to sip fuel, run forever and haul WHATEVER you need them to. All I am trying to say is if you want big power, you have the wrong engine. If you want damn good mileage, reliability, good sound and an engine that you can actually work on with fairly basic tools...then keep what you have. My engine has over 310 000 miles on it and it still runs like a top. I am building a monster though, slowly but surely!

;Sweet;Sweet Missing the "Thanks" button so here's my alternative. :angel:

I'm with you Goofy. Somedays I get annoyed w/ my low powered IDIT, but overall I've come to really like it. She has her quirks, but by the pocketbook, and her reliability and cheap parts, the 6.9/7.3 IDI really is fairly hard to beat. I'd love to slap a Cummins in mine, but for the cost of what it takes to get the power in this thing it just doesn't make $$ sense.

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I trust the WMO so much and the equipment sounds like a hassel

And thanks for all the feed back on performance stuff I think imma leave it how it is for a while and then maybe down along the road put some moose injectors on it and maybe an intercoller... As for now it does damn good

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WMO or WVO is only an option if you have access to it. Around here, its getting hard to come by. All the shops have waste oil heaters, and all the retaurants sell their oil to a renderer(I.E. they dont give it away). Then we have the constant ads on craigslist for people looking for it. Burning WMO or WVO has been discovered big time.

It can also be a huge hassle, and a big disaster if you get a bad batch or dont filter it properly. Its not as simple as just gettin some and burning it.

There are risks involved, but then again these era trucks can be had for dirt cheap prices, and parts are easy to come by. On my 12 valve, no way. Im not gonna risk a 2500$ injection pump, and 400$ injectors, coked piston rings, and the down time. Clean fuel only in that truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist