Just bought my first Diesel

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to the site and today I just bought my first diesel truck. I am not completely Diesel ignorant though...I am a diesel technician at a Dodge dealership. The truck I bought is a 1990 F-250 with a 7.3 automatic 4x4 Super Cab. Unfortunately almost all my experience is with the Cummins motor that Dodge uses...

Here is my questions...Is there anything I need to know specifically relating to these engine and trucks? Anything that I really need to watch out for??

I have had the truck so far for less than 5 hours...here is what I know about it. It starts easily and runs smooth..The starter engages a little rough. Trans seems to shift a little hard and shift timing is different than what I am used to. Power seems good...actually alot better than I expected...I wasnt expecting much knowing it is not a turbo diesel. Thanks ahead of time for any advise.

Last edited:

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new-to-you truck. Read the Tech Articles and FAQ's, especially the one on 'cavitation' which you need to look out for on these more than the Dodge/Cummins engines.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
You work on cummins motors but bought an IDI...what posessed you to do such a thing? Oh, and welcome to the site.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I am mechanic at a Dodge dealership. Prices of Cummins equipped anything are through the roof. I was in the market for a pickup and this one kinda fell in my lap. I got it extremely cheep. Honestly before I was forced to become the Diesel technician at my work I really didn't like diesels at all...well that was several years ago and I learned to appreciate them. My original specialty was gasoline drive-ability. Now I do about equal parts diesel to gas. ........
I have been taking my new to me truck out today and 4 wheelin around the hills by my house and am pretty happy with it. The only thing drive-ability wise that I notice wrong with it now is unless it is completely warmed up, if you rev it up and let off the accelerator it
will stall unless you feather the pedal a bit.

oh and my other rides are ...1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee lifted on 33s.
2008 Dodge Caliber
1968 Plymouth Satellite 2dr. with 383
1967 Dodge Dart GT with a 340
and the reason for needing the truck....2004 Honda CRF250X
2004 Honda TRX450R quad
2006 Yamaha Raptor 700 quad
2001 XR100 sons bike
and a small 50 cc quad for my littlest.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. ;Sweet Your stalling issue is a sticky govenor assembly/metering valve. These fuel systems like a regular diet of lubricity additive for long life and smooth operation. I suggest Howes Diesel Treat, but many use the Stanadyne formula. Try double or triple dosing for the next few tank fulls until the problem goes away.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck do that to me twice over the years and both times I used auto transmission fluid. Dumped about 1 liter in one of the tanks and it was cured in a few hours. From what I've heard, the stanadyne fuel supplement is among the best.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool thanks for the tips guys... I will look into the lubricant. I usually like to do the cheep things and dumping tranny fluid in the tank sounds right up my alley but I am also new to this motor and dont want to push my luck until I know more what I am doing.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and to the world of IDI.
You've already started correctly---by posting here.
READ the tech articles. You'll soon be more of an expert than most supposedly trained diesel mechanics.

You say the tranny shifts hard enough to attract your attention. Is there a blinking light for the OD OFF? I'm not sure where the OD OFF button/ light is for your truck, some are on the dash; some on the end of the column shift lever.
The light is lit when you have turned OFF the Overdrive. It should default to being ON ( light off) at every restart. Try pushing the button to see if the light works. It flashes to advise you that it is in "limp in" mode. If the bulb is out, you may be in "limp in" mode and not realize it.
Generally these automatics shift pretty nicely, a little firm, but not "banging". If the engine has to rev pretty high before it shifts, and then it hits HARD, its probably in limp in which shifts at full line pressure. ( Bad for long term use.).
Sometimes its as simple as some water in one or two of the wiring connectors at the transmission, or rear axle. Sometimes cleaning, drying, putting some dielectric grease in there, and plugging them back in is all it takes to correct.
Again, welcome to the site.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Oh, and before I forget....
Start saving up for a turbo. You want one; these engines NEED one ( or two) to wake them up.
There is discussion about which is best. IMO, it doesn't really matter. There are differences, but ANY turbo is so far superior to no turbo that it isn't worth arguing the details.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. Most of the stuff has been covered by the other guys, so I just wanted to say "Hello" and "Welcome". Now we just gotta get you to come to the Rally so we can meet ya and see your new IDI.:D

Heath

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the atf thing...I keep a gallon in the cab to deal with bad fuel, works wonders for cleaning the system out and keeping it happy

Welcome

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool thanks for all the replies guys. the od light was not flashing. I found a tranny leak in a trans cooler that I have repaired that may have been causing a loss of prime. I checked the fluid and now it seems to be shifting much better.
As far as installing a turbo or 2... I think i am going to drive it around for a bit and just work the bugs out of it. Once I get all the stock stuff working and reliable I will look at doing some modifications then. I will post some pictures soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online

No members online now.