JAKE BRAKE

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
dont think so.
i dont think the exhaust flap style brakes are recomended either,because of the hydralic lifters.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
with our engines the valves would smash into the pistons.There is NO clearance between the head and piston at TDC(.030 to be exact).I wish there was a way other than an engine transplant!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck sure sounds like it has one :Sly One of the side effects of IC'ing the motor was the "jake" noise above 2k rpm in gear on decel. :love: ;p :love: Got pulled over once by a commercial in Cupertino, Ca. due to the noise. :backoff :draw

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
towcat said:
My truck sure sounds like it has one :Sly One of the side effects of IC'ing the motor was the "jake" noise above 2k rpm in gear on decel. :love: ;p :love: Got pulled over once by a commercial in Cupertino, Ca. due to the noise. :backoff :draw

Towcat,
My truck makes the same noise you describe......but I have never really been able to explain why it makes the "jake brake" sound and the powerstrokes do not, heck even the 6.9 doesnt make the same sound. Can you explain further...or at least explain what "IC'ing" is? Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the sound is just due to the RPM's mostly. Normally under load, the sound of the compressed gasses escaping is more of a whoosh, where as when your decelerating at high RPM, there really isn't much more than air in there, and so it kind of pops like a cork out of a bottle. That's my guess anyway.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Agnem said:
I think the sound is just due to the RPM's mostly. Normally under load, the sound of the compressed gasses escaping is more of a whoosh, where as when your decelerating at high RPM, there really isn't much more than air in there, and so it kind of pops like a cork out of a bottle. That's my guess anyway.

Yeah that is similar to what I would guess is happening, but why do the powerstroke and the 7.3 and the 6.9 sound so much different during deceleration. Yes I do relize they are different engines but they are also very close to each other in some aspects.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Well I can say for sure that an Intercooler is not necessary to achieve the "jake brake" sound during deceleration!
The time it takes the air to travel from the compressor dischage to the intake amplifies the jake noise. before IC, the jake noise was noticable, now its deep into ticket territory.......
I put 20k mi on this truck since purchase last Nov. 5k without an IC. 15k with. Outside of a replacement motor, the only other variable is the IC. I don't have to put any effort into making noise on decel whatsoever....

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
towcat said:
The time it takes the air to travel from the compressor dischage to the intake amplifies the jake noise. before IC, the jake noise was noticable, now its deep into ticket territory.......
I put 20k mi on this truck since purchase last Nov. 5k without an IC. 15k with. Outside of a replacement motor, the only other variable is the IC. I don't have to put any effort into making noise on decel whatsoever....

No effort on my part either, without an intercooler.
I do think it is necessary to have the muffler removed though.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
well, i run in 'ticket territory' over 2k rpm whether i'm getting on or letting off the hammer. i really noticed the jake effect when i opened up the exhaust, and it really barkes, too. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a Jake effect on my truck...I'm just about certain it's due strictly to the way my exhaust system (isn't) set up at the moment, though :shocked: it's certainly not as clean-cut as what you typically hear...I need to get a sound clip of my exhaust before I gather the $$/time to put an exhaust system under the truck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online