It's a Squirter!

Neal Evans

Reaction score
This is probably a common problem. See this video:

Things I just tried:
1. Removed the return line cap and replaced the two o-rings with new ones.
2. Replaced the return line cap.
3. Made sure I seated the steel nipple properly at the top of the injector.
4. The injector doesn't appear to be cross-threaded.

I torqued the bolt about as much as a could. I'm worried if I torque much more bad things are going to happen.

Any suggestions?!? It seems like black magic to fix the squirters once you get one.

Thank you!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That I would say isn't really a common problem... Keep your hands clear! Don't want hydraulic injection wounds! Don't Google it, scary stuff.
Your injector line isn't sealing properly to the injector. I would take it off and inspect the cone area of the injector and the line for damage. I've seen them have a hairline crack and cause this. It's also what's causing your engine to shake so much, technically that hole isn't firing.
Chances are, that steel line needs replaced.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto on above.
Make sure sealing surfaces (Line and injector) are smooth. Check for dirt.
May need a new line if the line face is damaged. Or the line is cracked.
Trick with lines is to make them snug tight not hulk tight. Hulk tight can deform the line face. Not suggesting you did hulk tight just some food for thought.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That I would say isn't really a common problem... Keep your hands clear! Don't want hydraulic injection wounds! Don't Google it, scary stuff.
Your injector line isn't sealing properly to the injector. I would take it off and inspect the cone area of the injector and the line for damage. I've seen them have a hairline crack and cause this. It's also what's causing your engine to shake so much, technically that hole isn't firing.
****, that's some scary stuff.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Neal Evans

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback. After it cools off, I'll go check out the end with a magnifying glass to see if there are any hairline fractures, etc.

Damn, I just replaced these 6 months ago. Supposedly was a good set made in Italy (not chicom).

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I went back and looked at the video, you don't have the isolator on that line. Vibration will cause them to crack at the ends.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree with the above suggestions. The ONLY thing that can cause that much fuel spray is the high pressure fuel inside the injector line.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the vibration without that line clamp dampener will cause major issues.. seen it on tractors and as the guys said, avoid high pressure like that makes for a quick trip one way

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this system maintain a state of pressure like a hydraulic system used for articulation and consisting of cylinders and supporting weight and such? Or does it cease beyond the shutoff of the engine and injection pump? Is the prime that the fuel system holds under any amount of pressure or no? I assume no since that prime is upstream of the injector pump?

Now I’m absolutely terrified of hydraulic snake bites…..

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Does this system maintain a state of pressure like a hydraulic system used for articulation and consisting of cylinders and supporting weight and such? Or does it cease beyond the shutoff of the engine and injection pump? Is the prime that the fuel system holds under any amount of pressure or no? I assume no since that prime is upstream of the injector pump?

Now I’m absolutely terrified of hydraulic snake bites…..

Only one injector line gets pressurized at a time, and odds are that all 8 will be depressurized with the engine runout when you shut it off. The fuel supply gets cut but the engine makes another rotation. Wear heavy gloves, throw a rag over it and keep your hand away when loosening it if you're worried. I have done injector caps in a tight Econoline engine bay and it was fine.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What Cubey said. Just loosen the line at the injector, it'll bleed off at even a quarter turn. You only need to worry about the liquid snake bites while it's running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01