ISSPRO Coolant Gauge Issue!?!?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an ISSPRO EV2 100-280 degree coolant gauge. When I was driving today, all the sudden the gauge spiked to and remained at 250 degrees, also the AC cut out when this happened. The factory gauge, however, was still reading normal and the overheat light did not come on.

Anyways, I pulled over as quickly as I could and shut the engine off. There was no steam or signs that I had overheated, so I checked the hoses and belts, everything looked fine, and there was no visible coolant leakage anywhere. With that in mind, I started the engine back up, and the coolant gauge was back close to 195 degrees. Let it idle for a minute or so and it remained there.

So it seems like this must have been an electrical problem, but my concern is being able to know that for sure. I don't know what would cause the gauge to just randomly spike to a certain temperature like that, especially since I have had no issues with it before. I have only had it for about 6 months.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the sensor ground.

I probably should have mentioned that I have 2 other EV2 gauges are using the same ground, also same ignition switched power. Seems kind of weird that only one would be acting up. If the ground was bad I would expect the same behavior with the other two gauges.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have an infrared thermometer? Take it with you..... if/when it spikes again, shoot the area where the sensor is, and maybe the thermostat housing......

I would think, if you spiked and stayed there, the factory gauge should have indicated it also.... Where did you put the aftermarket sensor? Does it still have the sensor for the light? The sensor that turns on the light and pegs the gauge is not the one that makes the factory gauge work......

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sender for the isspro gauge is located in the driver side head in the previously unused port. Both the factory gauge and temp light are connected as well.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clarify "A/C cut out". Did the fan stop blowing? Or did it stop producing cold air? Is the A/C working now?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't have any issues when I drove home yesterday. The gauge was reading normal the whole time. I will check the ground or see if maybe a wire is rubbing on something and causing a short.

Michael Pliska

Reaction score
Please see the troubleshooting guide here: http://www.isspro.com/TROUBLESHOOTING DOC/ISSPRO_EV2_Troubleshooting.pdf

That behavior could have been caused by an intermittent connection where the sensor wires press into the orange connector. Do you still have the black plastic wire insertion tool? If so, please take it and a pair of pliers and use it to re-press the wires into the orange connector. Unplug the connector from the gauge, slide the white plastic cover off, position the insertion tool with the solid end towards pin #6 (which would have been closest to the passenger side fo the vehicle when it was plugged in), and give the tool and connector a very firm squeeze with the pliers.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I probably should have mentioned that I have 2 other EV2 gauges are using the same ground, also same ignition switched power. Seems kind of weird that only one would be acting up. If the ground was bad I would expect the same behavior with the other two gauges.

If your gauge is electrical and not mechanical,then they should have devoted grounds.Combining grounds on electrical gauges will cause them to read high.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please see the troubleshooting guide here: http://www.isspro.com/TROUBLESHOOTING DOC/ISSPRO_EV2_Troubleshooting.pdf

That behavior could have been caused by an intermittent connection where the sensor wires press into the orange connector. Do you still have the black plastic wire insertion tool? If so, please take it and a pair of pliers and use it to re-press the wires into the orange connector. Unplug the connector from the gauge, slide the white plastic cover off, position the insertion tool with the solid end towards pin #6 (which would have been closest to the passenger side fo the vehicle when it was plugged in), and give the tool and connector a very firm squeeze with the pliers.

Thanks, I will check the connector and attempt to re-press the wires.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your gauge is electrical and not mechanical,then they should have devoted grounds.Combining grounds on electrical gauges will cause them to read high.

The ISSPRO instructions said that a single ignition and ground wire could be used for multiple gauges.