Is this a transmission problem?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
My van starts fine, even in cold mornings, but now it will not go faster than 15 MPH and when I retire the foot a little from the pedal it tries to change into third but as soon as I press a little again it goes back to second and never goes over 15 MPH.:dunno

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Burt.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It sure sounds like the c6 has let go but do some fluid checking first.. See what color it is. Smell it for a burned smell. See if the filter is dirty. Drain off all the fluid and if the pan is clean just replace the filter and reuse the oil. I can't see throwing out good oil if its ok looking.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
The problems I'm having today could be the consequences of a deer encounter I had about a year ago. I was driving about 50 MPH at night on a back road and a deer jumped right in front of me and couldn't help to hit it. I ran over it and it caught the transmission line and by the time I got home all the fluid was bled. Next day I fixed the line and refilled the fluid but some time after that I started having problems towing the trailer with the tractor on top. Maybe something got damaged when it ran dry.
Thanks for your help! I have a friend that works at the local Ford dealer in town and said to bring it over there and they will check the transmission and fix it. He says it could be around $1,500.
Burt.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like something is going on with the valve body in my opinion. After a fluid change, I would go to Walmart and get a bottle of trans-x. That will clean any varnish that has built up on your clutch discs and valve body parts. Check out your transmission filter for excessive shavings too.
When cold, my c6 always shifts late and I think it has to do with the trans fluid being slightly thicker when cold. Once warm it shifts normal. I too have to let off the pedal to get her to shift mainly because I don't want to rev my engine to 2800 rpm when it would typically slam into gear because it is not warmed up yet. I figure it is best to give the engine some time to warm up before working it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running your automatic transmission low on fluid will definitely burn it up. Sounds like it may be rebuild time. IMO, that price seems a bit high. In my area, local transmission shops will rebuild the c6 transmission for $650-$1000 and that includes a rebuilt torque converter too.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I'll try to get an estimate from a local mechanic some neighbor recommended. I was thinking to take it to the dealer because they will have all the experience and parts plus the warranty, but those $1.500 will hurt me bad. Thanks.
Burt.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burt; You may very well have a vacuum problem, there is a short rubber hose at the tranny which may be cracked or damaged or the intermediate band may just need adjusting. The C6 ie rather easy to rebuild. To adjust the intermediate band, loosen the lock nut and back it off, tighten the bolt in useing a torque wrench, torque to 10 ft lbs, then back out exactly 1-1/2 turns.

Here is the whole kit for rebuild. http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/36008B.html

If you scroll down a little there is a TC for the C6 . $85
or this one--
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/36006B-BOX-1.html
Repair manual;http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/C-6manuals.html

Attachments

• C6 shift linkage.jpg
    C6 shift linkage.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 5
  • C-6 Auto Trans..jpg
    C-6 Auto Trans..jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 5
  • C6 Autotranny-Park.jpg
    C6 Autotranny-Park.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • C6 Autotranny-Park (2).jpg
    C6 Autotranny-Park (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • C6 Autotranny-Park (3).jpg
    C6 Autotranny-Park (3).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also adjusted the intermediate band on my c6 last summer. Adjusting that bolt made a world of difference and now my transmission shifts from first to second without slipping. Very nice fix!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm agreeing with all the above posting about the c6 trans build. The $1500.00 dealer deal is way out of line but thats what they charge for their work and warranty. But really what good is a warranty on sunday nite after 9pm out on some back road. We want good quality work but at a fair cost. The dealer has ro cover their overhead. My cost of overhead when I left So Cal. Edison was $78.00 per hour..:eek: My hourly pay was $32.06 per hour. Thats what the company had to get just to break even if they hired me out to do any third party work... We did about 80% third party work.. Maybe more...

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Yes, I know they are charging me dealer price, but this is the situation I have: I really don't know a good and reliable mechanic around here with knowledge in this kind of vehicles. The operations manager at the dealer is an elder at my church and a good friend of mine. At least I can trust him and know that he's not going to say that the problems is something different or inflate it to charge me more, something I'm not sure about other places. He said he was going to help me with the price as much as he can and he said that I should have $1,500 as a worse case scenario.

I wish I could have a plant here where to put the van and lift it up to work in the transmission. All I have are a couple of ramps that are not even safe to use with a vehicle that weights 7,200 pounds empty, and parked on our sandy soil. I have less than a foot space to crawl under it when I'm inspecting things with a flash light. I'm going to see if it's possible for me to drain the oil and remove the bottom of the transmission in order to reach the filter. I have never done this and need to read and study some diagrams I received before to be able to do the work. Maybe I can check the intermediate band and see if it needs adjustment. I'll try all this and if after changing the filter, the fluid, adjusting the band, etc. it's still with the problem then, if I don't have another mechanic that I can trust, I'll have to bite the bullet and call the dealer's tow truck.

I really appreciate all the time and help you guys have put giving me your input in this mater. Thanks.

Burt, an old farmer, getting tired of everything these days.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure and check that vacuum hose at the tranny, it's only about 4" long. On second thought, check your vacuum with engine running with a gauge, should have about 20 Hg. or above.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check the hose first and I'm going to see if I can borrow a gauge to measure vacuum from a neighbor.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about putting in a new modulator on the tranny. Probably around $40 is all. When you remove it about two quarts of fluid will drain out, but that is all - you will need to put a pan under the tranny to catch the fluid.
The C6 transmission is an old and solid design and virtually any transmission shop will be able to trouble shoot it for you. I understand it is also one of the simplest transmissions to work on, so the cost may not be too bad using a transmission shop for the repairs. It will cost you nothing to ask questions and visit a couple of shops for a diagnosis and then report back.
On the 1986 6.9 you will find the long vacuum hose connects to a plastic valve fixed to the side of the fuel injection pump. - the hose goes from the C6 direct to the injection pump valve. It would be worth your while to renew this hose as a holed one will affect the transmission operation. Also adjusting the plastic valve changes when the transmission changes from 1st gear to second etc.
Don't be in too much of a panic just yet - KISS may be all that is needed.
Lastly, do you have a repair manual for your vehicle - if not then buy yourself one as it could save you hundreds of dol;lars with simple repairs.
HTH
mariner

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The vacuum hose idea is a simple item and cheap to fix if thats the issues. If that vacuum valve on the injection pump is bad they are expensive. I "found" 2 of them in my pocket one day. I will send you one free if that helps.. they are good to have as spares in the glove box...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker