Is the Glow Plug Timer Adjustable?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GPs are not staying on as long as usual. They have only allowed me to cycle them once over the last few weeks. Normally I need two GP cycles to fire my wmo blend. Two cycles were working perfectly.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to do the manual glow plug switch.

Is the timer adjustable?
What would keep the GPs from cycling twice? I get nothing but afterglow after the first cycle unless I allow more then 5 seconds between cycles, but then they only stay on for 3 seconds.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
It's not really a timer. So no it's not adjustable. The controller measures resistance to know when the plugs have gotten to temp. What's happening when you quickly cycle the key, is the controller is "seeing" the resistance from already hot plugs, so it then switches to the afterglow cycle immediately. The 5 second wait allows the plugs to cool briefly, and then it only takes 3 seconds to bring them back up to temp.

If you have one or more bad glowplugs, the controller will not work properly and not glow for long enough. So testing your glowplugs would be a good idea. (use an ohmmeter, infinant resistance = bad plug)

What it really sounds like, is you're going to need to run a manual plug switch since you're needing to glow longer. Make SURE you're running ONLY the ZD9 glowplugs, and that you upgrade the wiring from the contactor to the battery.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poor wiring connections were the cause for my controller short cycling. I know this to be true, because after it started short cycling I would pulled all the glowplug connectors off, checked all the plugs, all checked good, and guess what? It cycled fine after that. A month later same thing, do the same routine, all plugs are good, and it works ok again for a short time. That's why I went to the manual switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online