Is my engine about to pop? Got a trip in 12 days, should I pull it???

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Man I say injector stuck open. Sure the 7.3 has valve guide issues but that shouldn't cause smoke puffs. A stuck injector would

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would certainly be replacing all the injectors, and may as well the IP, before doing anything. May not cure it, but it would stink to do all the work of a removal and tear down to find out you need a new fuel system.

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Well the mystery knocking that my truck has been making for the last 1000 miles has gotten progressively worse in the past few weeks. The knock is loud, too loud I think to be a valve or lifter. It will go away for a few seconds every so often then come right back.

I'm hoping to head to the 12 hours of sebring race on march 12 with some of my college friends pulling our crappy camper. Its about 110 miles each way and I think something terrible will happen if I try to make the trip.

Any thoughts on what it could be or where I should start? I think its in the driver side bank, should I start pulling the head? Or should I just pull the whole engine? If I have to I have a E350 Van/truck think in my backyard with a 6.9 in it, I can pull that engine and stick it in to make the trip.

Lemme know what you guys think, this problem is getting bad at just the wrong time making me freek out just a bit. Don't want to dissapoint my friends and tell them my ford won't make it so whatever I do I need to do it fast.

-Robo

Robo,

I just saw your Thread ...

My advice comes a little late, but ....

Any time you hear what you think might be a rod or a bearing,
change your oil & filter first thing - drain the filter
into the pan instead of just dumping it.

You should have a magnetic drain plug - check it for metal
shavings or flakes.

If you find any metal - proceed accordingly.

Regarding taking your truck on a trip,
How much money do you have for towing & storage ?

I would not leave the driveway until you figure out
whats' going on .....

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online