Is it too much?

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a factory turbo engine for $600. It is complete from fan to fly wheel and oil pan to air intake. I am mostly looking to rob the turbo parts for a 3000 mile engine and set the block in the barn as a rebuildable core or spare parts.

The good: ran when parked a few months ago, radiator cap still had pressure after months of sitting, coolant has been changed to pre-charged, and it lools pretty clean in terms of leaks and drips.

The bad: the truck has 200,000 miles. I don't see it on the engine externally but have no other way to know.

Is this a good price? Can I rebuild the turbo? Who sells rebuild kits?

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any play in the turbo? if its all there id offer 400-500 any pics

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea about shaft play everything is still assembeled. It is still in the frame and I could probably hear it run If I asked .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just buy the engine. That price is a great price to pay for a complete engine. Take off the turbo and parts. Then sell whats left for $400.00. Make back most of the cost easily. Everybody sells a turbo rebuild kit for that turbo but. Its not a job for most of us. Some usually break the turbo taking it apart. No matter what is done. Rebuilding any turbo REQUIRES BALANCING... These turbo shafts spin in excess of 120,000 rpm when wound up... Thats 2000 rpm per second. Balancing is critical at that speed. Being off by say 1/2 gram will ruin it.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Why is 200K bad? This isn't a gasser, a 200K mile IDI, or diesel of any kind really, is just warmed up. It'll go twice that easily and not uncommon for it to keep going after.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't too concerned with the milage on the engine but more so the turbo. Thanka for the advise guys.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
its a factory turbo engine.. cheap. id buy it, attempt to run it, pickle it or tear it down and find out whats wrong

if your going to rebuild a idi a turbo spec engine would be the best to start with

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paid 450 for mine and felt like I was stealing it. Seems like a great deal to me! Complete turbo kit for 600, and a free engine to go with it? I know I would.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wasnt sure if a turbo rebuild would make this thing not worth the price . Thanks for the input guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.