Intermittent power loss

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was a combination of both. When I bought the elbows at my local shop they sold me some goofy ones that just didn't want to seal. I ordered brass replacements and while waiting for them to arrive I tried one more time to seal them. I never had a problem with it since then. The brass fittings are sitting on the shelf. I do intend to toss them in when I get time, but since it's working fine that is low on my to do list. It was definitely worth the time and money to switch to the manual valves. While I was working on the valves I dropped both tanks, cleaned them, removed the factory pickup screen and did the hose mod with a V at the bottom. I then replaced all fuel delivery and return lines. I have complete faith in the fuel system now which is always nice :)

If I remember correctly I paid a bit extra for 1/2" valves because they didn't have 1/4" . I guess that's the only thing I would have done differently. The 1/2" valves are pretty big haha.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was a combination of both. When I bought the elbows at my local shop they sold me some goofy ones that just didn't want to seal. I ordered brass replacements and while waiting for them to arrive I tried one more time to seal them. I never had a problem with it since then. The brass fittings are sitting on the shelf. I do intend to toss them in when I get time, but since it's working fine that is low on my to do list. It was definitely worth the time and money to switch to the manual valves. While I was working on the valves I dropped both tanks, cleaned them, removed the factory pickup screen and did the hose mod with a V at the bottom. I then replaced all fuel delivery and return lines. I have complete faith in the fuel system now which is always nice :)

If I remember correctly I paid a bit extra for 1/2" valves because they didn't have 1/4" . I guess that's the only thing I would have done differently. The 1/2" valves are pretty big haha.

Thanks so much for taking the time to get back to me on your project! I appreciate it!

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used valves from McMaster-Carr also. Not sure if they're the same as you ordered, but sounds like it. I got the ones with 3/8" NPT threads, ran brass 90's off of them. Haven't given me a lick of trouble in over two years.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used valves from McMaster-Carr also. Not sure if they're the same as you ordered, but sounds like it. I got the ones with 3/8" NPT threads, ran brass 90's off of them. Haven't given me a lick of trouble in over two years.

Great, that's what I wanted to hear. Yeah, the McMaster-Carr had the cheapest metal ball valves I could find. I ordered the 3/8 also. When you attached them to the cab floor, did you use only the two screw holes built into the valve? I was considering adding support of some kind, but if it seems sturdy and secure to you after two years I will go with whatever you did there. Let me know, thanks!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay great. Got the fuel hose today - waiting on the elbows.... I mounted an on-off-on toggle switch for the fuel gauge....

You must be registered for see images attach

Ran the leads through the rubber grommet in the cab floor in front of the gas pedal... Think it's for something auto tranny related? The junkyard truck I pulled it from had a cable running through it, but mine didn't have the cable or grommet... but then again, my truck is a Frankenstein with the ZF5 transplanted in... So, sometimes it has been difficult to know what is wrong, right, or if it was ever supposed to be there.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin