Interesting craigslist item

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet its an 83 or early 84 with the casting defect. The crank is good if it was done right, the block is junk if it cracked...it can be repaired, but these blocks are tough to weld and fix right. The pistons are probably good if they haven't been used since the rebuild. Its up to you as to if you'd want to use them in your rig. New rings you would definitely want with all that rust in the cylinders, new bearings are good insurance. A new oil pump would be a good idea unless it was replaced with the rebuild. For $100 take it! Its worth that in scrap metal alone, plus a good set of IDI heads is worth good money.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the rust, I doubt the crank is "new" anymore. :rolleyes:

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be worthwhile to pick up if I decide to tear down the motor in the dually I just bought... in the "new truck update" post... Who knows what kind of parts I'll end up needing. I've never done much for internal motor work, I'm definitely dragging my feet on that project... I don't know if I can make time for it right now.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tore this motor apart last night... Turns out it was a good deal! When I got the pan off, Everything was very clean... one of the cylinders had a couple of drops of rust, everything else looked good. The rust on exposed side of the cylinder walls was only real bad on the frontmost driver side hole... its soaking in oil right now, that piston really doesn't want to come out. None of the pistons have any wear marks on top... I think all of this stuff was new, as advertized. Gotta get the motor out of the dually now and see how bad the inside of that one looks... haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online