Intake manifold bolt won't thread back in

swald

Reaction score
I removed it because it secures the glowplug relay bracket which was in the way of me replacing fuel return lines on the #7 injector. The 2 bolts I had to remove are actually for the #5 cylinder. Anyway, one went right back in, but the other won't grab. The threads look fine on the bolt. I even switched the 2 bolts and both will thread back into the front hole, but neither will thread into the back hole. I also loosened the front bolt for the #7 cylinder, hoping it would help to align the problem hole. It didn't.
Any suggestions?

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use some sort of a pick (even a toothpick) to feel down in there and make sure the threads aren't stripped. As long as the hole is good, might just need to loosen up the intake bolts up to shift it and line back up.

swald

Reaction score
Use some sort of a pick (even a toothpick) to feel down in there and make sure the threads aren't stripped. As long as the hole is good, might just need to loosen up the intake bolts up to shift it and line back up.
I thought about loosening up that whole side, but was hoping someone had a magic trick I could use.

swald

Reaction score
Any reason i shouldnt try making a dog point bolt work? Or one with a tapered point just to get that initial bite?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reason i shouldnt try making a dog point bolt work? Or one with a tapered point just to get that initial bite?

Nope give her he'll let us know but get it started with your fingers first I wouldn't put a rattled on it out of the gate

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yes, I'm removing an old thread, because this seems to be the only other instance of this in the great wide web...

I'm in the same boat. Pulled this same bolt (#5 intake, closest to #7) to do glow plugs a month or so ago and got it back in with a crowbar and some pressure on the Banks Sidewinder hot side. Took it out to do return lines 4 hours ago and have been fighting for the last hour. I even power sanded more of a chamfer on the end of the bolt and I still can get it to grab at all. What trick is there to manipulating the intake/GP bracket/turbo hanger sandwich to get this sucker in?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online