instrument panel/tailight issue

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck in my sig keeps blowing fuses when i pull the headlight switch to either parking or driving lights for the instrument panel which is tied into the tailights. ive already checked all the bulbs and even replaced the switch. any input is appreciated.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Check for a bare spots on a wire somewhere under the dash, should be a light blue with pink tracer that runs from the dimmer to the instrument lights, IIRC.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Check the fuse terminal with an ohm meter, if both sides of where the fuse plugs in are grounded then you have a short. A bare wire is grounding out somewhere btw the fuse block and one of your lights. Also you could check this with all bulbs in then pulled to see if you might have a faulty plug or still bad bulb. That would mean NCheek is correct and you have a wire rubbed and shorting out. A good place to start for checking for shorts is anywhere you have modified or aftermarket wiring.

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a light blue and pink tracer wire in the headlight switch. theres a black and pink one but the wire that started to melt when i jumped the fuse box is tan and white. it doesnt lead to any of the plugs in the dash though. it looks like it runs up my steering column into my steering wheel. i have no clue....

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i talked to a ford mechanic just a little bit ago and he said that ford knew it was a problem but they didnt make it a recall. for any of those that need it, you have to replace the headlight switch AND the connector at the same time. and alas. its a dealer part...

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
you can get that at a parts house, main auto parts in Lubbock Tx. has the connector, and everyone else has switch. Their number is 806 797 7777, you could also try a junk yard or possibly online. But they are available elsewhere from the dealer.