Installing Gauges

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Well, my ISSPRO gauges finally arrived. They came with a free pillar mount so I'll probably use that (though I mildly prefer the dash mount systems).

I have a boost gauge (0-15psi), pyro (color coded for pre-turbo install) and trans temp gauge.

Anything I should know before I attempt the installation (hopefully this weekend)?

Based on previous threads it looks like the left side manifold is the best place for the pyro probe - any recommendations on how avoid getting metal shavings in the turbo with the least amount of work would be great.

I have no clue where best to mount the probe for the trans temp gauge.

Boost gauge seems straight forward - there's the little pipe fitting on the intake hat that looks just right:)

Oh, lastly, anything special about painting the plastic gauge pillar?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Driver side of the tranny, about in the middle is a pipe plug. Use that for the temp gauge.

Um, remove the pipe first? :confused: :D Not sure how to avoid the shavings if it is installed.

Yep, the intake hat.

I test fitted, and trimmed the mount prior to install. I also wired all of my lights into one wire, grounds into 1 wire and key on +12v to one wire and just sent the minimum down. I did not want 3 grounds, 3 lights etc to snake down the a-pillar.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Just pull the crossover pipe and drill/tap the manifold.Fire it up for a couple seconds and reassemble.Pretty easy other than the old frozen with rust bolts for the exhaust....As for the pod.Get some good primer for plastic parts and prime it good.Then paint.Don't buy the cheap 97 cent per rattle can paint.It won't stay for very long.

Rob94F250

Reaction score
I ordered the same gauges earlier this week. I can't wait for them to arrive.

I had read an article on drilling for the pyro (can't find it right now), and they recommended running the drill bit dry , but working your way up in drill size in very small increments. That way any shavings are extremely small. Another site recommended using vaseline on the bit to catch the shavings on the bit. Both recommended using a shop vac when you were done.

I still may try dropping the crossover before I install it. That way I can be 100% sure. I better start shooting the loosen-all now, so I am ready once the gauges arrive...

Have fun!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I've seen guys drill the manifold with a cold running engine, and a greased drill bit. That seemed to do a good job of keeping the shavings out. I sure wouldn’t want to have a bit break while doing this though. :eek: Safest thing to do is remove the manifold…

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On my Banks Sidewinder turbo the probe is about 6 inches from the hot exhaust gas to turbo side. Why would you want to install it in the cross over pipe? Be sure you don't install it downstream of the turbo like between the turbo and the tailpipe. That wont do you any good because the turbo has used up most of the heat. I guess you have to do what ever fits your needs but closer to the turbo between the 2 exhaust manifolds is the best place and not more than 6 inches from the turbo inlet.

Rob94F250

Reaction score
F350Camper,

I hadn't thought about the bit breaking off - probably because I don't seem to own any really small ones anymore. They are missing out of all of my drill kits because they - um - broke.

Would you pull the manifold or drop the crossover? It would be nice to drill the manifold on the bench.

Rob94F250

Reaction score
icanfixall,

With regards to locating the pyro sensor, my thoughts were that it would be best to mount it in the manifold near where the crossover bolts up, to get the most accurate reading of piston temps. Is there a significant amount of heat loss between the manifolds and the turbo? Just curious...

Thanks.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. I'm a little confused about the pyro probe. All the ones I've seen pictures of had a threaded portion on the probe that would screw into the hole I intended to tap into the manifold. The pyro probe I have is smooth and came with a huge hose clamp in the box - its this one
http://www.isspro.com/proddetail.php?prod=R650A-HT

I called ISSPRO as I didn't have a clue what to do with it. Sound like it will work, but is more for post-turbo installations (which I am not doing). Any ideas or recomendations?

I think I will try and drop the cross over pipe, I don't think I'm brave enough to drill the manifold with the engine running :eek:

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bikerpilot. The pyro you have sounds to me like it gets clamped to the outside of the crossover pipe or and exhaust manifold. Not the best way to see the actuall temp. If the probe is in either exhaust manifold it will show that temp. Now if one injector is not working up to par like the other 3 are. Well you see what will happen. Banks takes its temp off where both manifolds dump into the cast iron supplied manifold before it goes thru the hot side of the turbo. This way both sides of the motor are "blended" so you see the corrected temp.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I figured out the pyro probe - it mounts like a normal one, only rather than threading into the manifold/pipe it uses a special hose clamp to secure it. I guess the idea is to allow you to install it in a pipe too thin to tap. It has an adjustable limiter on it to set the probe depth.

Good thoughts on the issues that could result from injector issues. I'll have to look at the collector and see how hard it would be to do it banks style:)

Thanks,

Josh

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a shop vac lay it right next to the drilling area and it will suck up all the chips. I tried this on the bench at work yesterday just to see if it worked and no chips went into the manifold, I drilled in two steps. I used the little angle end and the bit was actually touching it.
Just a test, seemed to work great, ;Sweet my 2 c

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
greese the dill bit,tap and maifold,fire engine up and commence drilling and tapping.thats ho i did mines.when drilling cast iron you get a powdery substance,not shaveings like if you drilled regular steel.if any gets in the manifold just fire it up and let it idle for a few minutes,dont rev it.and it will just blow the stuff out without hurting the turbo.

this may be of some help for you guys also

http://www.gts-motorsports.com/gaugemountinst.html

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and link. I've never drilled cast metal before, had no idea it would be powder rather than shavings. Thanks for the tip!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you drill it use the size bit you need.dont bother with drilling in steps as it will cause more particles then just drilling with one bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online