Installing a TACH where one previously wasn't

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone worked up a system in their non-tach truck where they took a sensor from something else and a tachometer from something else and managed to come up with a feasible, workable, accurate tachometer system in their truck. Anyone? I know that a sensor from a little Chevy car has been used as the sensor, but what about the tach itself? Has anyone modded a tach from a gas engine, an add on gas tach like you see sticking to the steering post, or even a tach with needle from another kind of diesel vehicle or tractor?

Just curious, I know there are ways to do it using tachs you can buy, but I was wondering if anyone from this esteemed collection of gearheads and tinkerers have come up with something else.

Thanks!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did see a completely aftermarket tach set up on an old Chevy van with a 6.2 in it. I have no idea where it came from or what brand it was. It used a pickup mounted on the lower, front timing cover., There was either one or two magnets glued onto the harmonic balancer. Major PITA to remove to pull the engine, but it did work. Maybe there's something out there for our engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online