1994 tach sensor issue again

Thehands

Reaction score
Anyone know where would be a good spot to check for damaged wires I've replaced my tach sensor 3 times and just checked it on my other 1994 idit and it works great. On my daily it sits at zero on start up, jumps up to 400rpm after it gets revved runs great but obviously problems with tach so trans shifts way late. I've wiggled the wires around the tach but nothing changed it to the needed 650-750rpm at idle. I am new to diesels and 7.3 idits thanks
E40d transmission.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Might be the gauge itself. My in laws 93 does the same thing, but trans shifts fine cold. At zero cold, but when warmed up a little works fine.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'd try a wrecking yard one first. Last time I bought one was $20 for just the speedo gauge uninstalled from the cluster. I don't know how to test them.
Your mileage will change, and the coding for your wheel size will also change. You can recode the wheel size, but mileage will be whatever the new gauge has on it.
Unless you're feeling adventurous and desolder the EEPROM chip from one to the other.... I've done that once, wasn't too hard.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try a wrecking yard one first. Last time I bought one was $20 for just the speedo gauge uninstalled from the cluster. I don't know how to test them.
Your mileage will change, and the coding for your wheel size will also change. You can recode the wheel size, but mileage will be whatever the new gauge has on it.
Unless you're feeling adventurous and desolder the EEPROM chip from one to the other.... I've done that once, wasn't too hard.
His issue is with the tachometer, not the speedometer so he can disregard those speedometer related instructions,
...and to the original poster:

If the E4OD sensors are determining the RPM directly from the tachometer by sensing changes resistance (or voltage) through the magnetic coil in the tachometer itself then a replacement tach could fix the problem BUT I'm much more inclined to think that the transmission is getting the RPM signal directly from the tach sensor through the wiring to the electronic control module behind the driver side kick panel and from there through wire(s) that go from the control module to whatever location controls the shifting.

I would also FIRST suspect a problem in the wires that conduct the signal from the tach sensor to electronic control module and from whatever component the E4OD uses to pick up the RPM signal back to the control module. I used to know this whole circuitry and all of the components but since I don't have an E4OD I've honestly forgotten most of it.

I HOPE your problem is in the wires and it will be easy to find, like a posi5tive wire that's grounding out somewhere or short circuited to another wire due to some damaged wire insulation.
I have a headache right now so I can't proofread this before posting it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Shoot you're right, had a brain fart. I swapped both tach and speedo at the same time. Too many vehicles I work on....