inline fuel pump

pat_da_man

PatMan
Reaction score
just a quick question
is there anything wrong with sticking fuel pump just after the tank selector but not bypassing the mech lift pump. such that i would have both fuel pumps running?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Got that type of setup on my plow truck and is running with no ill effects.
Had to stuff it on there to help with gelling and water in fuel issues.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i just got a holley red;Sweet and am capping off the lift pump. i have heard of filling the crankcase with fuel and dont want any part of thatcookoo !

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
From my understanding if the electronic pumps enough to push the mechanical then it can blow seals and fill the crankcase with diesel. I did what you are talking about then heard of this and checked my oil. Sure enough it smelled like diesel and i ended up pulling the mechanical and spending all day flushing my engine. I'm not telling you what to do but I wouldn't do it again.

watercat

Reaction score
fuel pump

I have finally got my steering pump/fuel pump operating. took a small modification but now i can push cold wmo like the stock pump runs deisel.

Next week i'll get the twin turbo kit installed and post the picts for that ASAP

Attachments

• IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 9

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have finally got my steering pump/fuel pump operating. took a small modification but now i can push cold wmo like the stock pump runs deisel.

Next week i'll get the twin turbo kit installed and post the picts for that ASAP

Very nice, I hope it works for You. Do You think that soldered fitting is going to hold? I would be concerned with the vibrations.
If it woks well You could write an article with pics for this site too, I think it is a neat idea.

Straight motor oil, You must be real sick of fuel prices.

watercat

Reaction score
We have a repair shop and a quick lube so oil is easy to come by. but really what i was looking for is a long range vehicle to travel around the country and only need to refill on each coast for the most part and to be able to do this within minutes. I'm now over 3k mile range and can refill and be on the road running the oil immediatly. i knew there would be issues but i never expected to be virtually only the fuel pump. I'm starting to lean towards the only modification needed to run wmo is a hydrualic pump for a fuel pump. The pump is modified right now on the internal by pass but what i'm going to work on now is a extrenal by pass on the lines. This way a guy can buy a used steering pump and fabricate the brackets in a few minutes (my brackets took an hour or so). then just clamp the oil pressure by pass in line and be down the road. i like to make sure that most of the modifications to the system are made with existing car parts so i can buy stuff not fabricate it on the road.

the solder joints surley could be a issue but i hobnestly have not had that problem but then i have a radiator shop so experince may play into this. it would be easy to just tapp the aluminum pump and screw in fittings.

As soon as the system is done and I'm happy with it its going to get new fuel lines all in metal and the size increased as well as the tank pick ups re mounted or moved out of the sending unit and sized up to 1/2" then 3/8 on the fuel line. right now i run 3/8" high pressure steering hose for line but trans fluid line would do.

Honestly I'm just happy the steering pump has so much vacuum since it has vaines in it and not gears. i started to think that they had no vacuum and that was why they all have resivoirs mounted on them. i clamped this pump i had in my parts shed in the vise and pluug a couple hoses on it and stuffed them in buckects. i could easliy turn the pump very slowly and raise the oil up the line 3ft and on the discharge side i was getting a full volume of fluid for the speed. with this info I felt i had info to give it a try on the truck and i got it on and blew a line off right out of the box so i must have been in the 300 psi or more area. so i took the by pass spring and piston out and the preesure dropped right down. this was based visual only and sqeazing the line with it running it was much much less psi. i drove home found the wmo coming out the front pump when i inspected it at my house. i switched the belt back off the pump to its stock set up and re routed the fuel lines to go around the steering pump. I did some reading and inspected the insides of a feew pumps over a few days and came to the conclusion the actaul by preesure is regulated in the steering gear or steering rack and that the reg on the pump is a in between high speed regulator. and the seal in the front coming out was not enough fuel returning to the tank and this was causing the pressure to rise or spike. bascally the injector pump does not have the ability to vent this much extra volume and then turns it into preesure which has no place to go and hince it shoved the sell off the front shaft looking for a place to go. i was able to just tapp the seal right back in and after 50 miles its as dry as can be and the pressure is still in specs, or at least my specs. one thing to note is that this set up just thew ay its is is the same pressure as a power stroke stock but with wmo. So now we have a pump top start converting pwer strokes to wmo and then we can double the fuel economy. my power stroke gets 20 mpg my idi gets 10 thats where its at for me.

tractorman86

Reaction score
ok so i was going to do my red pump today but dan into a snag. from my selector valve the line is nylon and runs right onto a steal line how do i splice into that without causing any durability issues?:confused:

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the way they set up mine they used rubber fuel hose, the high pressure type (i think thats what you need to run bio because its stronger)