Injectors started leaking Using WMO

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else had injectors start to leak when they started using WMO. I've been running 100% WMO oil in front tank and deisel in rear tank. But last couple of days I've noticed lots of fuel (oil soaked deisel) around my two rear injectors on my passenger side. I cleaned everything around them and it seems like its coming from the base of the injector right above where it goes in the intake. Its not leaking bad enough where it won't start fine. Seems like there is no air in fuel system just leaky injectors. Anyone else had any signs of this using WMO or its it just time for me to tear out my injectors and install new ones with returns and the works? The trucks sits quit a bit but seems to run fine when I drive it. I just hit 90,000 on the meter today, so it might just might need some more love.:peelout

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had return o-rings start leakin. Also noticed return hoses starting to "sweat" from the oil. I have Viton o-rings to replace them with.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if its the same sort of deal as when we switched from the old high sulfur diesel to the 500ppm stuff and to a lesser extent when the switch to ULSD was made and seals wept at times due to a difference in the aromatic content of the two fuels? Motor oil almost certainly has a different level of aromatics than ULSD.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might of thought it was from the oil but wasn't sure. I'll just end up tearing my injectors out when I try to put my ats outlet housing on and new downpipe. Is this going to always leak with oil? If it is I'm not going to be in a big hurry to change them out unless it starts to affect my performance or starting of the truck.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it should always leak with any type of fuel, I am suggesting it might leak if you ran it on only WMO for a year and then switched back to diesel only or biodiesel. As long as you use about the same stuff in it all the time I'd imagine it would hold up pretty good. Say you start on diesel or bio then switch to WMO or your blend, the seals will become conditioned to that. I don't know that to be a fact. Its what Chevron said might happen when we had the LSD and ULSD switches...maybe its not right...but maybe it is..

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I start it up on diesel then switch to WMO. It looks like it is leaking from the lowest hex head on the injector. (closest to the intake). I've never had any injectors out to se what they look like up close but its coming out of the injector at the lowest point of dissasembly. Is there a o-ring in there or is that what you are talking about Mr roboto?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic caps on the injectors have two O-rings each under them. Get a whole set of O-rings and do them all at once. Trying to only do one will just make the next one down the line leak.

Ford dealer has packs of 16 O-rings.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to looking and after my drive today all but two are wet now. I'm hoping its just from being old and not anything to do with WMO. Thanks Roboto. I'll check with the stealership on those and I better do my return hoses too while I'm in there. ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like it those are mostly maintanance parts. let us know how it goes

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mine is doing it too, it's happening because the WMO is thicker and your fuel pressure in the return line is higher than with diesel. The fuel being thicker slow's the return flow to the tank, causing a restriction of sorts thus building some extra pressure in the old hoses and o-rings. Mine is doing exactly as you described, they were dry as a popcorn fart until I started burning WMO.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Does anyone have the O ring size?
I am thinking that it might be helpful so I could order viton O rings from McMaster-Carr.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scarfed from another source.... And this is going in the parts bin.

McMaster Carr Viton products
Part No. 9464K24 - Viton O-rings for 6.9/7.3 IDI Injectors

Part No. 5119K13 FIRM Black Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors
Part No. 5119K861 FIRM Green Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors
Part No. 5119K864 FIRM Brown Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors Part No. 5119K43 SOFT Black Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors

Part No. 5119K21 FIRM Black Viton Hose for the hoses from the fuel tank to fuel pump & to the return line on the back of the engine {5119K891 = Green. 5119K894 = Brown)
Part No. 5119K51 SOFT Black Viton Hose for the hoses from the fuel tank to fuel pump & to the return line on the back of the engine.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Why would I use firm vs soft hose? Are are different types used in different places?

How many feet of hose would I need to do all my lines? And what types?

I'm thinking the added stress from the new turbo and increase fuel output from the pump after I turned it up has netted me a few gushers.

Scarfed from another source.... And this is going in the parts bin.

McMaster Carr Viton products
Part No. 9464K24 - Viton O-rings for 6.9/7.3 IDI Injectors

Part No. 5119K13 FIRM Black Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors
Part No. 5119K861 FIRM Green Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors
Part No. 5119K864 FIRM Brown Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors Part No. 5119K43 SOFT Black Viton Hose for the hoses between injectors

Part No. 5119K21 FIRM Black Viton Hose for the hoses from the fuel tank to fuel pump & to the return line on the back of the engine {5119K891 = Green. 5119K894 = Brown)
Part No. 5119K51 SOFT Black Viton Hose for the hoses from the fuel tank to fuel pump & to the return line on the back of the engine.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5ft should be enough, that's how much I bought for my buddy's 6.9 and we had some left after replacing all the soft lines on the engine.