Injectors leaking, which return line kit?

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to see if the caps have centered barbs , early or offset, late. 89 is a quistionable split year. and with engine changes anything is possible, that is why I ask for a type before I sell a kit.

what do you mean by centered barbs?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
From you picture you have the centered barbs.

Look real close at the pictures in the e-bay link you provided, the first listing is with centered barbs on the black plastic caps, the second listing has the offset barbs on the black plastic caps.;Sweet

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohhh ok, now i see it. lol. well ill take a closer look to make sure in the morning.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually he has both. :dunno The 90 is an old style, and the strieght one is an offset. Both have different diameter barbs as well. You can mix 7.3 parts on a 6.9 system, but it's a little harder putting 6.9 parts on a 7.3 because of the larger hose. You can actually use either size on either engine. I prefer the 6.9 style myself, and use that style on my 7.3 so I have standardized my fleet. I also ALWAYS give the IP it's own return to the manifold, regardless of how it was originally setup.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i ordered the older style, so it should work?

It isnt hard to install this is it?

and nappa wanted like $94 for the kit, i thought that was too expensive. I'm kinda on a budget anyway

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
You can mix 7.3 parts on a 6.9 system, but it's a little harder putting 6.9 parts on a 7.3 because of the larger hose.

I bought my return line set for an 85 even though I have a 7.3l. The problem I had was I have the 7.3l filter and so the barb on the filter was a little small for the fuel line and causing a leak. At least that's what I've surmised along the way.

By the way Mel, you're a big reason I have this truck. I had an 85 Bronco I wanted to Dieselize, and saw your Moosestang a few years ago. I started looking for a truck for a donor and ended up with this one which was too nice to part out. Then the Bronco became a $4800 + cash for clunker for me, how could I pass that up.:dunno Especially since I could buy that Bronco again for $500-$800 bucks. I still want an 80-86 Bronco with an IDI and a 5spd.;Sweet

mahatma171

Reaction score
It will work. You should have those things slapped on there before you know it. Just pull air cleaner, loosen injector lines & move gently out of the way, pull the old stuff off, put your new o-rings on and your new caps and lines, put injector lines and air cleaner back on and should be good. You might get a little air in the system but I doubt it. If you do it will blow out in a few minutes of running. $94 would have been too steep. You did good.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and my dad got them in, wasn't real hard. I didn't put the copper seals in, im guessing you have to take the injectors out for this?

mahatma171

Reaction score
Me and my dad got them in, wasn't real hard. I didn't put the copper seals in, im guessing you have to take the injectors out for this?

That would be correct.

As an alternative use, you can make a custom decoration with them and hang it from your rearview mirror....

Or, better yet, put them in a rubber band slingshot and see if you can hit a target :D

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I found they were the perfect washer for something else on my truck, can't for the life of me think of what that was. At the time I thought I should remember so I could pass it on and it's gone.cookoo

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang. I was getting 10-12mpg, and i got 17.25 today. im super happy, ive wasted way too much fuel for tooo long.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Your getting better millage by changing your o-rings and return lines? I did mine today, hopefully I'll see some improvements, but I don't see how this is.:dunno

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because fuel was leaking out of them..

All of my injectors stayed wet.