Injector caps are leaking

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I was out looking under the hood of my truck when I noticed a nice pool of diesel on the intake. Followed it back to four injector caps that are leaking but I can't tell if any of it is coming from the IP. So my Quetsion is how hard are these too change and is it worth doing a new IP and injectors while everything is apart. The Truck has 140,000 miles on the stock stuff so its probably about time to change them. I was thinking about doing DPS stage 1 Injectors and Turbo pump but not till mabey this winter until this happened. Money is a little tight right now but I could get it all done and not worry about it for another 100,000 so what do you guys think. Change just the caps and wait until it completely fails or do it and be done with it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The caps you can get it now if you buy a return line kit so you get the caps and the hose. Now the IP and Injectors, that depends, do you use it for long trips or as a daily driver? If yes to #1 then you might want to replace it now at home with tools instead of later who knows where and pay someone else to do it.

Rob94F250

Reaction score
I had a leak on the #7 (right rear) injector. Changed out the seals and thought I had it beat, but then #5 started complaining - so I ended up replacing #5, #3 and #1 as well. The rubber appears to have dried up over the years, and as soon as the lines leading up to the next injector get jiggled, it seems to cause that seal to let go as well. The rubber seals were all dry, and cracked when I removed them. No leaks since doing this, although 2,4,6 and 8 are next on my list of things to do.

My caps appeared to be OK, so I didn't replace them. I would think that any cracks would visible through the factory paint on the caps. I did replace the fuel lines on the ones I did, since it will dry out just like the seals did.

I would probably try replacing the seals at each injector first, unless you think the problem is at the pump. I did each cap one at a time, making sure I thoroughly cleaned the one I was I was going to work on next before I pulled it apart. I didn't have to loosen the lines at the pump to replace any of them – but I was gentle on the lines when lifting them off of the injectors – especially close to the front of the engine.

The mileage on my truck is similar to yours, so I hope your situation is similar to mine. I don’t want to have to spend the money on a new pump right now either.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
My IP started leaking fuel out the weep hole at 128k miles. I was about a third of my way to FL (from NoVA) when it started acting up. Being the foolish type, I pressed on and did actually make it all the way to south FL and back without incident (my fuel mileage was kinda crapy though).

I of course replaced the IP as soon as I got home, diesel care had one for $395:thumbsup: I also repaced the caps and o-rings while I was at it. They weren't leaking, but the rubber was super dry and hard. I'd recomend doing all of them if you have to do any of them.

best of luck

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the whole kit with the caps, lines, and O-rings. As soon as you touch one the one next to it will start leaking.

I think they sell the caps with the kits because it's easy to break off the cap nipples trying to get the hoses off. Just yank the whole mess off and replace it!

I thought I'd be bright and just replace O-rings. Then my truck was down for 2 days while I waited for 2 new caps from Ford.

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
mine were dry until I fooled with the return lines now they all leak gotta get out there and replace the caps and O-rings got the kit in the tool box I'm just a procrastinator...and to make it even worse I know it will only take 20 min to do all 8!!!!!!!!

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replace all at once and its a easy job.got mine from shopdiesel.com for about 40.00 shipped.i bought the stynadyne kit,and it was nice,,,oh no leaks.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
when installing new o-rings make sure you did not cut them on the threads of the injector - this is pretty easy to do if so you need to change them again. What I always did to make sure that I didn't cut them was to wrap the threads with tape before sliding the o-ring in place. Grease the o-rings as well. when seating the caps you need to press them down until you feel/hear is set - I have had to take a deep well socket before so that I could get a little more umph to seat some of them - I have even been known to take a small hammer out to "help" it along as well but one has to be careful doing it with a hammer - nuf said there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online