injection pump swap

mjsfarms

Reaction score
I have a 1989 7.3 non turbo that the injection pump has worn out.( this engine has 327k miles on it and never had to replace pump before.) I have another pump from a turbo 7.3 off a 94 model that busted the crank.(hydraulic lock on friends truck.) Will i need to turn down the pump output when going from turbo to non turbo. Any help appreciated Thanks. My background is in restoring old allis-chalmers and have rebuilt several of there standyne injection pumps, and they are still running.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.
if youre expecting any help, converting a powerstroke to an IDI, i would expect that you are going to be SOL!
but, im guessing this is a typo and you ment 1989.
pulling the IP gear cover would be the easiest way, but more technical.
you can wiggle the pump out without removing the cover, it is a pain.
i suggest while the pump is out, replace the olives in the injection lines.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
You probably will need to turn the fuel down a little, but you can do that after you have it installed and running so you can judge by the exhaust and/or EGTs if it's necessary.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.
if youre expecting any help, converting a powerstroke to an IDI, i would expect that you are going to be SOL!
but, im guessing this is a typo and you ment 1989.
pulling the IP gear cover would be the easiest way, but more technical.
you can wiggle the pump out without removing the cover, it is a pain.
i suggest while the pump is out, replace the olives in the injection lines.

As stated, welcome to the forum.
The olives are in the supply and returun lines not the injector lines. ijector lines are a mechanical metal seal. but yes recomend that they be changed when its apart.

gandalf

Reaction score
Good morning, and welcome to the best Ford IDI forum there is. This forum is full of friendly people willing to help you, and answer all kinds of questions. To better answer, we need as much information as possible. Fill out your signature block, found in "settings" or "profile". Tell us about your truck.

Whenever you're dealing with the injection pump on these trucks, be sure to read Mel's article about the fuel system. As experienced as you may be, there is always something...

Mel's Article

The Tech section is full of good information. It's there for the looking. Also, be sure to read "The Hall of Shame". Some members here have had bad experiences and dealings with vendors and repair shops. It's good to be forewarned.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated, welcome to the forum.
The olives are in the supply and returun lines not the injector lines. ijector lines are a mechanical metal seal. but yes recomend that they be changed when its apart.

then im confused,
in each injector line, there are 2 big thick rubber washers. along with the incoming fuel lines.
under the return caps, i have regular O-rings.. 2 per injector.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then im confused,
in each injector line, there are 2 big thick rubber washers. along with the incoming fuel lines.
I am guessing you saw the flared out ends and thought they were washers? It should be a metal to metal fitting for the main injection line on both the ip and injector side.

In regards to the OP, you will probably be fine with the turbo pump as is. That was a common upgrade around here to the NA trucks to add a turbo calibrated pump. You should watch your EGTS, but as long as you are not out west where they drive in that high elevation thin air I think you will be fine.

gandalf

Reaction score
then im confused,

I really don't believe there are olives between the IP and each injector. There are rubber "O" rings at each injector, but no olive.

Here is a picture which I've posted several times. It shows the hard line which runs between the fuel filter and the IP. There is an olive at each end of that hard line. You can see an old olive still on the hard line, and you can see why it needs replacing. The arrow is pointing to the new olive which will be going onto the hard line.

attachment.php

As I recall there are also olive, slightly smaller diameter, on the return lines in a couple places. I haven't had to deal with those, though.

Attachments

• DSCF7922.JPG
    DSCF7922.JPG
    811.7 KB · Views: 106

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oki-doki silli-oki, im a moron.
thanks for the heads up, ive never had my hardlines apart, i just figgured these gaskets were in all of the lines.
learn something new everyday!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle