Inj pump died...

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Figures...the truck I bought has been plagued with issues it seems. The truck had set for 3 years or so, I had to put an alternator, leak off lines, orings, fittings, ignition switch and now an injection pump. After getting it running I have noticed it dies after giving it throttle. I also changed the fuel filter the other day after the truck had ran for a extended amount of time, I had a heck of a time getting it started. I ended up pull starting the truck and then it started right up. The purchase price was only 500.00 for the 1990 crew fab f350, ZF5 speed, 4x4 and a 7.3 with 39,000 miles. The entire truck only has 139,000 on it. I'll probably get the pump ordered monday.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With that many years of sitting it could just be a stuck or gummed up pump but... Removing the fuel filter and filling it with atf. Then running it till you hear the engine sound differant... Thats the engine running on the atf. Let it sit over nite. Then run it the next day like your a rock star. If any gum has stuck the pump internals that auto trans fluid will cut it and make a junk pump a nice pump... Also do not just shop the ebay pump sites. We recomment Conestoga Pumps in Pa.. Mel is the owner and really knows how to rebuild a great pump. Another member here is typ4 known as Russ. Its his work too. Do not buy from anyone til you have read all in the forum... THE HALL OF SHAME.... Those sellers listed in that are the worst to deal with.. We as a collective have found this to be the truth over and over again...

Last edited:

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'll give the atf a try before I order a pump.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guys also put cleaner in the filter with the ATF.
Did you put a new filter on the truck?. try that with the additives also.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, you say it dies "after giving it throttle". Do you mean that it dies when the pedal is returned to the idle position, or do you mean the engine speeds up, then dies and you haven't released the pedal yet? The later would indicate a fuel starvation issue, while the former, a pump govenor problem. The ATF or Howes Diesel Treat additive would potentially correct that. The later is possibly a fuel delivery problem, and if not the inlet filter screen in the pump is clogged.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
The truck dies when you snap the throttle and it returns to idle position, as the rpm's return to idle it dies.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Also the other day after changing the fuel filter I had tons of fuel at the pump inlet and nothing coming out of the return line from the pump. So what does this mean on the db2 pump if no fuel is returning?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online