Induction Q's...

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moving to Florida - no snow! more heat! long trips! Need air!

I'm not so sure I want to go as far as cowl induction, but I was wondering about running some duct work to the grill. Not sure if anybody has done it.

Thoughts? :D

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The 6.9 uses one of those ducting pieces that plugs into the core support. I tried using it on mine but it rubs on the belt.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I ran my 91 open right off of the ATS filter housing for awhile and switched to the 6.9 style intake a few months later. Under load I noticed an immediate difference in power and I'm sure the EGT's are happier too. My thoughts are the 6.9 intake (core support) is better than the 7.3 style that scoops under the hood (above the core support) but I don't have anything to prove this. That said I'd love to try out the Hypermax setup because of the reviews ;Sweet

Here's a thread I started on a similar topic: http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42060

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I got the 6.9L core induction piece from a junk yard. I removed the little metal cover on the radiator support under the driver battery tray to do this. The 87's use the same style induction piece as the 86 down, and my 88 had the same hole, just had a cover over it. It takes in air right off the grille, and my temps dropped immediately.

Last edited:

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Brian, how'd you keep it from rubbing on the belt?

Well it's pretty tight in there. Mine goes over the power steering pulley. There's a tab sticking out of the top of the induction piece, and I used it to keep it in place. I'll see if I can go out and get a picture real quick....

Last edited:

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
One thing I totally spaced, is I had to cut off most of the end of the piece for it to go in this position. In fact I think I cut more than half the end off, now that I think of it. Let's see if these pictures work:

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online