in the middle of pickup tube mod helppppp!

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see an orange o ring that has nothing attached to it. also how do u get the wire connector off? its cold so plastic might break.

thanks again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your wire connecter just pulls off towards the edge of the pickup sender outer circle. The orange o-ring has me wondering too. More infor is needed for a better idea of what tank your working on. I'm guessing its the front tank because you can remove the sender without dropping that tank...

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i cut a whole in my cruddy bed yes its the first tank theres no pick up tube it looks like

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First tank tells me nothing. Its either the front or the rear tank. Seeing that you cut a hole in the bed seems to tell me you are working on the rear tank. If so and the bed is cut away you should be able to see the holder ring that keeps the sender in the tank. Just tap it loose counter clockwise and lift out the sender. Then find the small locating pin in the tank seal. That must be lined up so the pickup fits properly. If the plastic suction part of the tank is missing as it usually is just use a short length of diesel proof 3/8 inch hose and clamp it to the pickup line but cut a "V" in the open end of it so it wont suck tight to the bottom of the tank...

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cut a hole for the front tank to make it easier i was just wondering what broke pick up tube looks like

zpd307

Reaction score
replacing the usually broken rubber fuel pick up hose inside of the fuel tank. that way you can use the whole tank of fuel instead of just 1/2 or 3/4.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what exactly is the fuel pick up tube mod

In their vast wisdom, Ford put a brittle non-fuel-resistant plastic inverted funnel-looking screen onto the ends of the metal draw tubes inside the tanks.

This plastic soon gets snapped off by the sloshing of the fuel and leaves the open end of the draw-tube at about the 1/3-tank level, such that one can no longer suck out the last 1/3-tank of fuel.

To fix, pull the fuel unit out of the tank, do some educated measuring with a wooden dip-stick, decide how much 3/8" rubber line is needed to rest on the tanks bottom PLUS the length that gets slid over the tube, "swallow-tail fork" the end (you old ear-notchers will know what I mean) of the hose such that it cannot suck to the bottom of the tank, and put it all back together.

If you use too short of a hose, it won't suck all of the fuel out.

If you use too long of a hose, it may tend to curl up and not lie on the bottom, thus being no better than a too short hose.

After this fix is done, there will be all kinds of "algae" and :puke:**** get sucked into the fuel-lines, stopping up screens and filters for several months, until all this trash finally gets sucked out.

I highly recommend the installation of either a LUCAS glass-bottom sediment/water-seperator, or a clear housing GoldenRod fuel-filter ahead of any other pump or filter in the system, BEFORE this fix is done.

As cute as it seems, I DO NOT recommend putting any sort of filter at the end of the tube inside the tank.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
After this fix is done, there will be all kinds of "algae" and :puke:**** get sucked into the fuel-lines, stopping up screens and filters for several months, until all this trash finally gets sucked out

As cute as it seems, I DO NOT recommend putting any sort of filter at the end of the tube inside the tank.

thanks for the detailed info

algae i dont think i have to worry about that here in az
and the idea of putting a filter at the end of a fuel pick up tube it the dumbest shittn idea ive ever herd of so ya i agree with you

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a piece of 5/16 metal line and pushed it into the factory metal line, held it in place with a piece of 5/16 fuel line. That way the pickup doesnt move around cuz its solid.

Will

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i just slide some 3/8inch fuel hose over the metal line in the fuel tank.
put a Tee on the bottom so it wouldn't ever float.

couple hose clamps.

must work as I just filled up my stock tanks, took 37 gallons :) how the hell I ran it that low, without running out, I dunno.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

put a Tee on the bottom so it wouldn't ever float.

;SweetI wished I had of thought of that when I was doing mine:thumbsup:; :thumbsup:that is about as slick a remedy as I have heard of.;Sweet

I thought I was pretty smart for doing the "swallowtail" split.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online