improved 6.9

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have any questions this time, i just wanted to share what ive been doing to my 6.9. i took the motor out and tore it apart replacing almost every seal on it because it seemed to leak oil from everywhere possible. i also bought myself some arp studs and a old ats non wastegated system for now. its almost ready to put back in the truck and i cant wait to drive a idi with a turbo for my first time!
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Plenty of work going on there. Sure happy to see you left the injection pump gear housing in place. You could remove it with the gear still in place and the pump removed. Marking the gear with a line across the top of the water pump plate would make it nearly impossible to mix up the gear timing. Then you could have improved the sealant that keeps this cover from leaking. Lets hope you did NOT install an oil pan gasket even if one came in a gasket overhaul kit. All you need for the proper pan seal is RTV.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of work going on there. Sure happy to see you left the injection pump gear housing in place. You could remove it with the gear still in place and the pump removed. Marking the gear with a line across the top of the water pump plate would make it nearly impossible to mix up the gear timing. Then you could have improved the sealant that keeps this cover from leaking. Lets hope you did NOT install an oil pan gasket even if one came in a gasket overhaul kit. All you need for the proper pan seal is RTV.
i didnt use the oil pan gasket just lots of rtv

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
No bearings or rings? If you had it that far apart, you could have had it balanced, too. Don't forget to replace the oil cooler O rings while it is out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No bearings or rings? If you had it that far apart, you could have had it balanced, too. Don't forget to replace the oil cooler O rings while it is out.

This is a great idea Mike.. Sadly I missed this suggestion. Really no easier time to replace those hardened o rings.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt touch the bottom end it looked very good. i would if i had the money for it. and i did replace the oil cooler gaskets already

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
REMOVE THAT FILTER NOW.
these filters suck a$$, and will let dust through.
get a good Donaldson paper filter.

i didnt plan on using it because i remember you told me not to use it when i came to get my flywheel from you. i just need to find a nice piece of aluminum pipe because from what i hear the air boxes that come with these kits are no good

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have "stainless" from my diamond eye exhaust, but I had already put the other pipe in. Haven't felt like replacing it.
And I want to get away from the 6637 anyways. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my 4.5" got it from the electrical depot, 100 bucks for a 10' straight piece and a 90*
\

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online