I'm Back>>>Barely

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of you know the saga of my Colorado trip. It wasn't over. Upon leaving and heading up to Cheyenne I broke the famous :backoff alternator belt. It looked ok. So since I had to remove every stinkin :Sly belt on it I replaced them all. This was on a Sunday afternoon in a littlew town. NAPA was just about to close and they hung around because the belts that they called for didn't fit and we had to try others.

Back on the road. Load lighter truck running fair :rotflmao not what I would have hoped. Heading through Nebraska and pull into a Petro. I grab the fuel fill and end up putting 45 gal. of gas in. Now what? cookoo So I head to a place that can pump me out and he wants to know why I want to take the gas with me. ;Really uh, because its $145 that's why and he didn't want to buy it off of me. Just use it in his waste oil furnace. RIGHT!!!!

So now I have a 55 gal drum of gas in the back too. DOT should love me! LOL OK I should get some good tail winds now right!? NADA -cuss I'm heading into the hurricane. Winds in the face all of the way through NE. Speed 50-55.
Hit rain in MO through MD. At times I couldn't see the road. Speed as low as 40. Pulling hill on 70 from Wheeling 27 MPH up the hill. Man I am worn out from shifting and keeping my foot screwed down to the floor. My GPS said it was a total of 35 hours of drive time, avg. speed 54 mph. I through the radar detector out the window.

I'm used to a KW with 475 CAT that can pull 90,000+ anywhere you want with the cruise on. I don't know what to do with th truck. I don't want to buy another because of cost, but this is ridiculous.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Glad you made it back safe. Propane should help you on those hills. I only hit it when I start losing speed. It either holds or speeds back up. The turbo should also make you smile...once it's hooked up.

But even with turbo and propane don't expect miracles. My dad's trailer is about 1500#'s more than mine and he whistles on by with is '03 dodge as soon as we hit the hills. :backoff Not much I can do unless I want to pay $600/month. So for now I am happy with holding 55mph and getting about the same fuel mileage. :D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Very good you made it ;Sweet and you managed to fix all problems on the way. Now think about this, would you been able to fix all that if you had a psd intead?? :confused:

The idi have taken you there and come back in one piece, you don't have a turbo, neither propane. When you get the turbo going you'll see it will be like night and day :Sly and with propane added to the turbo it is even better :thumbsup: .

Exekiel.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second all the turbo and propane comments, if your truck is in good shape and you wanna keep it for along time, the turbo will be worth your money, if you are planning on ditching it and want 600 Cummins kind of power, you will never be happy. I love my turboed IDI, does all the pullin I do, pretty well. A good turbo will help you maintain speeds and get you up to speed faster and should get you a little better mileage. Also, don't neglect your IP and Injectors, if they are slightly worn, go with a DPS turbo IP and Injectors and your truck will be a totally different animal. Scotty

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb mistake

John Haggerty said:
Why did you pump gas?

Both handles were green, I was tired, they were right beside each other without any spacing. The fuel desk says it happens a lot. ;Really Me thinks a change should be made then!? :draw

The good news is I have 45 gals. of cheap :rolleyes: (sort of) gas. I could resell it here at $3 and make a profit.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg, Glad you made it back! That was quite an adventure. I think you should by a little 4 banger and tow your trailer with that for a while, then when you get in your truck you'll be real happy. I think the only thing wrong with your truck is your perspective, by your own confession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online