IDI vs powerstroke....need some ammo, please

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
DOESN'T REALLY HELP AS FOR IDI VS. PSD, BUT MY THOUGHTS ON THE IDI POWERED TRUCKS...

I just recently sold my IDI and bought a '01 Excursion (with the V10 gasser). The Excursion is the ONLY "truck" out of the last 5 "trucks" that I've owned that has something other than an IDI between the fenders. I was originally looking for a newer vehicle with a 7.3 PSD but settled on the V10 due to the cost difference. I fell victim to the "I want a faster, more powerful vehicle" virus and I kick myself in the butt for it. All the newer electronic vehicles have more things to go wrong and now I have a vehicle that I have to worry about "spitting" a spark plug. My old IDI's could be fixed along the side of the road with a pair a Leatherman's, a short piece of rope, and some duct tape (Used those three items to fix a vac pump belt to get my brakes powered up again to make it into town). Not to mention, I OWNED all my IDI's and for far less than just the DOWN PAYMENT alone on the Excursion that I owe for the next 3.5 years on. I'm just glad that my down payment was enough to make it so I can sell or trade the Excursion off and at least walk away from the loan. That said, I've been watching CL all over OR and CA looking for another IDI for the last week just because I miss the simplicity and ease of mind that the IDI powered trucks offered.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sheesh.. I quit hanging out here, because I don't have and am not getting a diesel, and you are building the crew cab to end all crew cabs... and you were one of my closest neighbors on this board, Bend, right?

Now... you are a kalifornian (not that OR was much better.. I feel for ya....:D ) and rocking my wife's dream rig, which the crew was not....

What happened?

Edit:
Clickjed "submit" and was perusing the thread, and your sig pic is "real plugs don't have sparkplugs.." and now you are rolling a rig that loses its sparkplugs at speed... I found humor in that....

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Sheesh.. I quit hanging out here, because I don't have and am not getting a diesel, and you are building the crew cab to end all crew cabs... and you were one of my closest neighbors on this board, Bend, right?

Now... you are a kalifornian (not that OR was much better.. I feel for ya....:D ) and rocking my wife's dream rig, which the crew was not....

What happened?

Edit:
Clickjed "submit" and was perusing the thread, and your sig pic is "real plugs don't have sparkplugs.." and now you are rolling a rig that loses its sparkplugs at speed... I found humor in that....

I was unemployed in Bend and moved here to California for work. I had the CC setup nicely for OR, but with the lower gears and a C6 it was not the best combination for the CA highways. I thought about swapping a ZF in it to keep the truck, but funds and time didn't permit it so I had to sell it. I bought the Excursion without really researching the issues because the price was decent, and I needed another vehicle for work (I wanted a F350 CC with a 7.3 PSD).

As for the Excursion "spitting" plugs and "REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS", that just means I'm driving a "fake" truck that's trying to become a "real" truck on it's own... :rotflmao

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that keeps me going back there are the members/moderators on the "pre-powerstroke diesel" section.

Well, perhaps that may be a good place to go there. I recall a lot of good information there; but when I got openly called out like a child for the "s" word in the PA forum (there's been far worse things there, everyone knows that), that pretty much did it for me. Maybe I'll go back, Dave S. is like a Ft. Knox of IDI info...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online