IDI vs powerstroke....need some ammo, please

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Got the "My powerstroke is better than your IDI, blah blah blah" speech today.:puke:

Guy was being a bit of a jerk, and I wished I had some info to shut him up.:backoff

But, I know nothing about powerstrokes, and very little about IDIs.:dunno

So help me out, what are some advantages of an IDI over a powerstroke?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the "My powerstroke is better than your IDI, blah blah blah" speech today.:puke:

Guy was being a bit of a jerk, and I wished I had some info to shut him up.:backoff

But, I know nothing about powerstrokes, and very little about IDIs.:dunno

So help me out, what are some advantages of an IDI over a powerstroke?
rule #1......there's nothing you can ever do to change a closed mind. no matter what you "educate" them with, it will never make an impression upon them.
that being said, for your own education, go spend a few days over in the IDI tech articles and the FAQ and you'll OD with facts on the IDI.;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ask him where his spare supply of cam position sensors are...that should **** him off. It's pretty much the most common weak spot of a PSD...it's "****" if you will..LOL

Personally, I have looked under the hood of a PSD, and although they will go like hell (especially the new ones and when chipped...) but I perfer the ease of NO electronics in the completely mechanical IDI.

HE would have to spend like 10 grand to have what we already have....full mechanical injection....and if he don't think that's enough in itself...ask show him how much is costs to put a FULL fuel sustem on your idi, vs. his HPOP pump alone! HA!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
install a high powered CB and amp system in your truck and next time he says something key it up.If you have enough power(say 500-1000watts) if will freak his computer out when the CPS gets some back feed and shut the truck down.This also works with the old VW micro bus and some later model bugs(Old style real bug).

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Someone in a new diesel once challenged me to a race.
I told him I'd race him to California and back with a 10k lb trailer.
I figure tortoise vs haire mentality. My truck'll drive the next 100k miles and i can fix it on the side of the road.

If I want a racecar, I'll put a 427 in a fairlane.... If I want a work truck, look no further.
Without a doubt the greatest work truck by my definition is a late 80's F250 diesel.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 PSD is a great motor and its tried and true. For some things they are better than an IDI. The IDI's biggest strong point is its cheap and easy to work on. I can change an IP and all 8 injectors on the side of the road if I have to in about 3hrs or less and it will only cost me around $700. Try that with a PSD. Again great trucks if you have deep pockets.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have both, see my signature. I happen to like both of them just where they sit. I really wouldn't want an IDI in the Excursion if it was given to me and installed for free. The same goes for a PSD in the Logger. My cousin has an '03 7.3 crew cab 4x4 auto. We both know the Logger is the preferred truck of the three to do heavy work/towing. Simplicity=longevity. The psd has its injectors on the underside of the valve cover and a harness goes through the cover to operate these items. That harness will degrade and need to be replaced over time.:puke: Our injectors have nothing more than a hard fuel line feeding them, simple. The injectors and glowplugs are wide open and easy to replace. The PSD will make more power all out, but our IDI's can compete with a stock PSD easily with a turbo. Our motors have way fewer pices to go wrong and leave you stranded on the roadside.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
a stock 6.7 (2011) 397 HP
a stock 6.4 (2008-10) 350 HP
a stock 6.0 (2005-07) 335 HP
a stock 6.0 (2003-04) 325 HP
a stock 7.3 (6 speed-2000-03) 275 HP
a stock 7.3 (automatic 2000-03) 250HP
a stock 7.3 (early 99) 225 HP
a stock 7.3 PSD(94-97) 225 HP
a stock 7.3 idi turbo 190 hp
a stock 7.3 idi N/A 180 hp

You pick which is best for you.

While every year they got more powerful , they ALL have their own issues

Last edited:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other big problem I have with the newer diesels is all the emissions crap they have to put on them. While I know this isn't Fords doing directly it makes it hard to keep things simple and reliable. Another vote for the IDI IMO.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY only ***** about an IDI.. is there is a guy I work with, laughs at em and my "old junk ****"..

Which is fine, but I would really like to just flat ass annihilate him with the IDI.. at least a close enough run, that he shuts up.. Gets tiring hearing "why you putting money in that old ****?" everyday...

He runs an 04 Maxipad, chip, KandN, exhaust, 450hp.. maybe?

And I know, my 6.9 or a 7.3 will never show that Maxipad who the daddy is...

Wouldn't trade longevity or reliability for his Maxi though...

And I own my truck, neeener neeener.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy I work with has a newer 6.0L powerstroke truck. He used to give me crap about my truck being archaic and not even having a turbo on it. He recently popped a head gasket. Cost about $6500 to have the shop fix it. If you're unfamiliar with the 6.0's, you have to lift the whole cab up and out of the way to lift the heads off. He now has an extra $6500 loan just to keep his truck running.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this argument many times (why keep an old piece of ****)....the last one was in the parking lot of an auto parts store....my response was to ask him to open his hood and let me see his odometer (this truck happened to be an 01 f250PSD)...he had 87k on it and I pointed out the things like injectors (where they were and how to srvice), then I showed him sparky (86 6.9 at 392k)...he was pretty shocked at the simplicity. My next move was to walk into the store and get prices on parts for both motors.

Granted, like towcat said you cant change a closed mind, but he did see my point....dont get me wrong I got nothing against a PSD, but like others have said the simplicity is awesome for long and hard running...I have 3 that I trade off driving right now, and they see a combined 5~6k miles per month....short of about a week ago I have never had an issue that I couldnt limp it home or fix on the side of the road. And last weeks issue was a blown rear tire (dually) with about 6k in the bed...that was the jack failing to lift the truck, and my stupidity on tire inflation and 100* days

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another guy I work with has a '04 Duramax. His wife's truck. Creampuff. Never even towed anything with it. Allison tranny took a dump. This isn't a common problem that I know of, but it was about $6000 to fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86