IDI transmission bolt pattern VS 460

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I have a line on a local ZF5 cheap enough that I could put it in and deal with the gear ratios untill I could find/afford a diesel transmission, but will it bolt up or is it different? My clutch is going fast and I want to go straight to a zf5, but cant seem to find one...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
I have a line on a local ZF5 cheap enough that I could put it in and deal with the gear ratios untill I could find/afford a diesel transmission, but will it bolt up or is it different? My clutch is going fast and I want to go straight to a zf5, but cant seem to find one...
Bolt patterns are supposedly VERY close, but they're off just enough that it will not work. In addition, IIRC, the 460 starter bolts to the bellhousing directly, while the IDI starter bolts to the adaptor plate on the engine side.

If you're desperate for a clutch and have more time than $$, I've still got the clutch out of my T-19. It was actually working just fine when we pulled the tranny...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I have more trucks than time or money, might get the zf5 for my 1977 F250 2wd anyway :) Anyone have a ZF5 for sale??? 2 or 4 wheel drive, considering convertion.