IDI Rear main seal wont go in, permatex drying fast!

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
I dont know if this is considered an emergency, but Im trying to install a rear main seal with speedy sleeve. It came from the Ford dealer and came with the installation tool. Ive done everything per the paperwork that came with it, but it wont tap in! Im not sure what im doing wrong but my Aviation Permatex is drying fast and its going to be tough to get it off to start over if it dries before i get the seal in. Its the actual sleeve that wont go over the crank is the problem. Its like its a little to small:dunno Ive tried everything and I dont know what to do. I guess ill go try to wipe it off before it dries. Hope somebody knows something to try. I applied a thin layer of aviation permatex to crank and I.D. of plate hole, then put the line up pins in holes, slid the seal with sleeve together into the tool, lined the tool up, and put a block of wood up to tool and tried to tap it in with hammer. Did I do something wrong?? Thanks for any replies

jlwoods99

Reaction score
you could try heating it in the oven to enlarge it slightly . I would think like 350 or so.

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
I got it in finally. Thanks man, I put a little heat to just the sleeve with a little soldering torch and it tapped right on!! Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online