IDI pump recommendations

Stoneridi

Reaction score
New to the site, got a 93 f250 4x4 looking to either purchase a injection pump or get mine rebuilt. Local shop price me 695 just for a new head for the pump that doesn’t include anything else. Please help.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of rebuilders on this site. They have good reputations. But since they know these pumps better than anyone else their pumps are much better than what others do. Not saying that all pump rebuilders are bad but your guaranteed to get a good one from them.

gandalf

Reaction score
Before you spend your hard earned money be sure of what you're doing and where you're spending. It's harder to find a good shop, an honest shop, than you might believe. The hardesty is to find a really good shop which is also totally honest. The best way to do that is to listen to the members here on the forum. We have found most of the good shops, sometimes through hard experience.

Read 2 things right away. Read the Tech articles. There is a world of knowledge there. Secondly, read The Hall of Shame, HERE. That is where you'll find the bad experiences.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reccomendation Adam, to the original poster I’d be happy to rebuild the pump for you, I specialize in these db2 pumps but you won’t go wrong with any of the other rebuilders on this site @typ4 @Agnem and Justin at R&D all do great work. The most important part with rebuilding any older pump is to find someone who is very familiar with them, so it pays to have one of these rebuilders go through your pump.

What’s your pump doing that has you interested in a rebuild?

Stoneridi

Reaction score
It won’t start when it’s hot. It has around 175k on it with an ATS turbo system added by previous owner

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Reading the Hall of Shame will guide you AWAY from the cheap horrible rebuilders out there. Generally the ebay rebuilders are the absolute worst for quality. Then the "chain store bought" are always questionable. Oreilleys, Napa or Autozone are terrible for quality. The recommended list has been posted already.Stick with them and you will be happy with the quality. My experience is Mel who owns the Moose Pumps made famous world wide by Conestoga Diesel Injection Service. They sell on ebay but mostly thru their store. Remember quality costs too..

Stoneridi

Reaction score
Where do I find the recommendation list? Thewespaul what you think is the problem? Where you located if I wanna send you the pump? Also I was told be a good idea to have the injectors pop tested. Is this correct?

gandalf

Reaction score
Thewespaul gave you the list in posting #5 of this thread. Typ4 is in Oregon. Agnem is in Pennsylvania. Those are their names here on this forum. They are both prominent members here. They both do excellent work.

175K miles is beyond the expected life of an IP, or injectors also. For that reason alone I would strongly consider replacing the IP.

You say it won't start when the engine is hot. Try poring some cool, not cold, water over the IP when it does this. If that helps to start the engine it's an indication that the IP is worn out, that the critical tolerances are too loose when the IP is heated up. If that helps to start the engine, begin looking for a new IP.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do I find the recommendation list? Thewespaul what you think is the problem? Where you located if I wanna send you the pump? Also I was told be a good idea to have the injectors pop tested. Is this correct?
At 175k your pump is well beyond the it’s expected service life, your issue is likely as Gandalf explained. The tolerances open up when hot and the pump cannot create adequate pressure to fire the injectors when hot. I’m located in Texas but I ship all over North America, you can shoot me a pm or give me a call at 830-328-6548 and we can get everything sorted. At that mileage I’d recommend replacing the injectors as well, they wear at the same rate as the pump and they should always be replaced as a unit.

Stoneridi

Reaction score
At 175k your pump is well beyond the it’s expected service life, your issue is likely as Gandalf explained. The tolerances open up when hot and the pump cannot create adequate pressure to fire the injectors when hot. I’m located in Texas but I ship all over North America, you can shoot me a pm or give me a call at 830-328-6548 and we can get everything sorted. At that mileage I’d recommend replacing the injectors as well, they wear at the same rate as the pump and they should always be replaced as a unit.
Wes I just sent you a message on your profile page. I didn’t see this reply till after.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As injection pumps wear out the pumping part of the pump gets too wide on the clearances.Diesel fuel is very thin. Add some heat to open up clearances and you get the heat soak hard start issues you posted about.Sometime the water trick works. Its poured over the back area of the injection pump. Just behind the top cover is a cylinder area before the distribution head. That aluminum cylinder area is where the water needs to be.As science tells us heat raises. when the engine is shut down heat increases the clearances in the pump mainly because the pump is no longer cooled by fuel going thru it. About 80% of the fuel going into the pump is used as coolant and lube. Same with injectors. If you could bump start or roll down a hill to bump or "pop the clutch" you can spin the engine fast enough to make pressure in a worn out injection pump. Hope this clears up whats going on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin