IDI or 12v. 460 swap

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i posted this once before.. but i need to know step by step if i can and what i need to do to swap a cummins 12v or an IDI into an f350 with a 460. will i have to change the front springs..what can i do with the crossmembers and the mounts and whatnot. does destroked or someone similar sell a swap kit?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would order the basic mounts, and get the engine located. Then build, modify, or order the rest as the project comes along.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
i posted this once before.. but i need to know step by step if i can and what i need to do to swap a cummins 12v or an IDI into an f350 with a 460. will i have to change the front springs..what can i do with the crossmembers and the mounts and whatnot. does destroked or someone similar sell a swap kit?

She springs should be fine, maybe just add a leaf.

If you haven't seen it yet,..Here is some reading to get you started:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21780&highlight=cummins+conversion

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I would order the basic mounts, and get the engine located. Then build, modify, or order the rest as the project comes along.

+ 1

You wont need to change the springs, they weight about the same. I got mounts from fordcummins but I don't think they are the best, destrocked sells this mounts and although they are quite more expensive they seem to be good quality, everything else I would keep it simple, try and get a cummins or IDI with the tranny of Your choice instead of buying a 'expensive' adapter plate from destroked to use another tranny unless You really want it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, what are you looking to drop in. And IDI or a cummins?

Me and BigRigTech dropped an IDI in where a 460 used to be....not too hard to do!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Me and BigRigTech dropped an IDI in where a 460 used to be....not too hard to do!

Of course! The factory swap :D

I tend to let my budget and parts availability drive my project to some extent. An IDI turbo (factory type) or a 6BT are both great choices. Depends on what you can get your hands on affordably.

One detail with the IDIs..... The common 'square' radiator needs the 'diesel' rad support with the dropped center. The other radiator is wide and shallow - fits the gas rad support - but costlier, less common, and harder to fit an intercooler around.

The Cummins gets by with a relatively small radiator because it's direct injection (not IDI) and thus builds less heat in the heads.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well what does the 7.3 IDI and the 7.3 turbo IDI get for fuel mileage? thats whatll it boil down to. as well as the engine/tranny cost. the 12v gets decent mileage.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked out some adapter kits and mounts for the cummins swap, will i have to alter anything but the radiator for the IDI swap.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or i can go down to a 351 swap... my cousin is a mechanic and im a part time mechanic

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
My '90 D250 Cummins is better on fuel than my buddy's '90 F250 IDI. No real figures, but noticeable in the amount I'd spend on fuel.

If you like power though... its easy to burn additional fuel in a cummins and negate any savings. LOL

Trust me, a 351 in a 1-ton truck is thirsty.

Either replace with a 460, swap in a diesel, or sell it for parts. :sly

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
or i can go down to a 351 swap... my cousin is a mechanic and im a part time mechanic

BEfore you go and take a step down to a gasser, you need to ask yourself what the MAIN purpose of this truck is going to be.

A race truck? Then a Cummins or a near glowing orange hot rodded 351 is the choice of the motors you mentioned.

Reliability? An IDI or a Cummins that isn't built to the 9's are both good.

Mileage? DIESEL. A diesel is 100% efficient when in a peak tuned state. At idle, a diesel burns ONLY the fuel it NEEDS to make the engine turn......can you say that about many gassers?

Coolness factor? Drop a 353 detroit in there and buy some earplugs cookoo :rotflmao

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its already got a thirsty gasser. i dont know what im gonna do yet. were building a new outbuilding at my house now and its gonna have a lift. 2 new compressors, carts and some rolling boxes. full on shop to work on everything. im so happy, but i gotta build it with my ol man first. so once thats done ill see where im at. hopefully a fummins,

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha. thats funny, cause believe it or not thats what i do for a living, oil burners in the house lol the new oil burners in the house with hydronic heat are kickin around 96% thermally effcient. so unlike a modded diesel, the efficiency is a little higher :D its great when home heating oil is teetering 4.00 a gallon:mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin