IDI conversion in a Class A motor home

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have been pondering the idea of converting a class A motor home from a 460 to IDi-7.3-w/ATS 088 turbo. I haven't actually studied the vehicle yet but have some questions. Is the 460 block larger -close to- or almost the same size as the IDi. Would the room needed for the 460 possibly already leave enough room for the Turbo to clear behind the engine.

The reason for this is a kno of an older couple with reputayion for being clean freaks -who take cars of thier stuff (retired atty).The engine let go and it is for sale dirt cheap.It was kept under cover and form what I can gather the interior is like new & well maintained. I have a lot of concerns if this materielizes because I would need to hire help to do it. And I would seriously think of doing a rebuild on my E40d if it happens.So it could get costly on my fixed income.

Thoughts?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1972 classic Winnebago Brave that was in excellent condition and always wanted to do a diesel conversion on it. The people I sold the motorhome to are talking about selling it and I'm trying to talk the Mrs into letting me buy it back, if so, I'd like to do something like that.
I've also wondered how well the turbo would fit into a class A engine compartment, in the case of the old Winnebago, It appears that it would have worked.
In my case, I would just run with a C-6 behind it. The engine that is in it now is a Chrysler 413 with a 727 trans.
I say go for it if you can pick up the unit at a reasonable price.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be a great swap, Get some pics of the engine bay for sure. Width and length are almost identical, having had both in my truck, they are equally difficult to work on .LOL.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The turbo should fit under the dog house of a class A. The old carbed 460 gassers had the big round air cleaner under there with some left over room over them.

That should be pretty interesting seing an IH IDI class A :D

I've seen a couple GM 6.2L IDI's in class A's but not many.

I'll gladly keep my Class C IDI camper though LOL

Scratch the E4OD, swap in a NP435 with a Ranger III OD unit :D

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only concern I would have is how easy it would be to change out the fuel filter. If need be you could always relocate it off the engine where it would easily be accessible. The other concern would be the radiator.

Does the class A have a hood that opens similar to a van in front of the motorhome?. I am sure that if you needed to service anything like the glow plugs or injectors the dog house would probably be easier to open than they are in a van.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Class A motorhomes do have easier to open dog houses, but the trick with the Ford vans is you have to remove the passenger seat (only 4 easy bolts).

Everytime my dog house comes out, the passenger side seat gets unbolted and moved back in the camper so get the dog house out with damaging anything.

You must be registered for see images attach

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is what I meant by the Van being a pain to remove the dog house. In addition to the passenger seat you and I need to remove I also have a console to remove. The console has all the E light switches and the siren/PA system.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot all the older Ambulances all had those lights and switches mounted on the dog house as well.

I'm glad I got nothing on the dog house, all I do is empty what ever is on it, unbolt the 2 floor bolts, un-clamp and out she goes :D

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well fortunately the console has two clips mounted on the floor so all I do is flip those up and the console comes straight back. Having that console is nice because everything still works and the flood lights come in handy sometimes like when your in a heavily wooded campground at night. People can see you coming from half a mile away :thumbsup:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a good swap. what year is the MH? what trany? The class A MH Will have a big rad already, pull the 460 scrap it and anthing metal you got laying around. hire a young kid that follows direction well and "gitterdone"

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool way to go. I'm guessing the 7-9 mpg that the 460 gave could be increased to 13-14 with the IDI and the right gearing. Which is where I was heading with this.

You may want to look at the rear gear ratio on the class A. It might make the difference in how well it all works out. The class C that I used to build my '57 had 3.54:1 ring and pinion.

My class A has a 4:56 rear end, so any change to diesel would probably require a rear gear change also.

Just some stuff to ponder.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting project. Kind of peeves me that they stuck gassers in these hogs anyway. It's not like a 454 or 460 is any quieter going down the highway. The 454 in ours makes your ears ring after 10 or 15 minutes. I don't have the time nor the resources to do the swap, especially since mine is a GM and not a Ford chassis. I don't drive it enough to justify the swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online