IDI Bronco update

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok , well been quite a while since my last post or update.

Here goes........

Bronco is still mobile under 5.0 :(
Good news! :)
1. Acquired a known reasonable running 7.3 engine for a mule engine (allows rebuild of Turbo engine, and Turbo) I work with this fellow, it's his old Tow truck engine he kept when converted to 7.3 PS
2. May have a ZF from an F450 (still negotiating) Same tow truck...
3. I have my D70 rear, Cadillac rear calipers coming, need adapter brackets and rotors
4. Have HD coil springs for front (0 Lift at this time) looking into springs for newer F250-450 for lift
5. At this point have complete parts for conversion except 1 single item I NEED a 87-90 Rad support for diesel engine Mike may have a line on one too LOL!;Sweet

For me to install turbo....Need turbo mount/oil return, cast up-pipe to turbo, X-over pipe (Can likely be fabbed at exhaust shop):dunno, and a rebuild of turbo too. Will find an intercooler and install prior to conversion so it's in n ready for use even without Turbo in!

Will do SAS convert to D44 from F150 with spindles rotors n calipers from D44 Chev to make 8 bolt front (D60 comes later) to match rear D70

Tow operator is helping me out huge!!! Thanks MIKE!!!:hail

Mike has been instrumental in helping me and encouraging me (refocus) on this project....He calls the Bronco the warehouse ***** (its full of parts he gives me and lotsa tools), I call it the TUG;p cause I was pulling his forklift loaded with up to two cars all over his muddy property, he would get stuck, I would bail him out...this went on for near 3 days while he was moving some cars for processing, lol it was a blast!

He has given me lots and lots of parts in trade for work, now I have a 3G 130 amp alternator to install and will be installing a Saginaw PS pump with remote reservoir too, so I can use my hydro-boost along with a hydraulic ram assist for steering!

We are even looking at a second Bronco to do a Frame off conversion with body lift, just happens to be one locally to view..will update asap.

Lots happening over last several months

# 1 NO LONGER WITH WARRIORMAMAcookoo....moved on have new G/F ROSE oh ya sweetie! Just adorable, and so much fun!

# 2 at this point no longer working in Ft. McMurray either

# 3 Working with Mike (Tow operator) looks very promising for future, lots going on.

Anyway, will keep ya all updated as it proceeds.

sootman73

Reaction score
lmc truck has the core support for gas and diesels. 189.99. i thought that was a decent price for what it is. not sure on shipping though....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck on the core support. That's pretty much a local junk yard item for you. Believe it or not, the diesel conversion was easier and cheaper on my Bronco, then the dang 8 lug conversion project I'm up to my neck in.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmc truck has the core support for gas and diesels. 189.99. i thought that was a decent price for what it is. not sure on shipping though....

A guy I work with bought a core support from them for a 94, and it was the wrong one. For that year the only core support they sell is for the wide radiator, not the extra large heavy duty tall radiator for the diesel.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck on the core support. That's pretty much a local junk yard item for you. Believe it or not, the diesel conversion was easier and cheaper on my Bronco, then the dang 8 lug conversion project I'm up to my neck in.

Mel,

Mike has a line on a rad support already, the truck I pilfered for parts was hit on front end so it was no good. He has connections;Sweet...(NO I WONT TELL ANYONE) :rolleyes:

Now that 8 lug swap issue of yours, is it front axle, for the D44TTB? If so check out this splendid lil diddy on just that subject!
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=198393

Hope that helps you out like it has me! Gotta love internet for the low down 411 on subjects all....:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article is the exact one that led me astray. There needed to be much more detail on what exactly one must look for in a junk yard to make sure you get the right thing. After all, it's Ford people reading it. Ford people who know nothing about Chevy's. LOL I learned one very important difference between Ford and Chevy (and consequently, why Fords are better). First, Chevy uses a different axle for each of their truck classes. In other words, they have a half ton axle, a three quarter ton axle, and a one ton axle. Ford Doesn't do that. They basically use a 1 ton axle on their 3/4 ton trucks, so if you have blue blood, and you go out looking at Chevy's and you find a 1 ton, you figure you got the right parts. After all, if it's on a 1 ton, it's on a 3/4 ton too. NOT! So right away, a Ford 3/4 ton truck is a lot tougher than a Chevy 3/4 ton. Chevy's 3/4 ton is more like a Ford 1/2 ton. Also, Ford integrates their brake calipers into the axle casting. Not so on a Chevy. Those little studs that hold your spindle on, are going to have to stop you too. ;Really So when I finally found the correct axle and bought it, the rotors were too thin to use. Well that was an expensive mistake, but since it was the only axle available, I had no choice. The rotors have integrated hubs, so they are costly. I'd say my biggest issue has just been difficulty in getting parts and knowing what I needed to get. I very well may write a new article and try and help the next guy to avoid the mistakes I made. That article is too vague on break lines, exactly where to cut and grind, what year brake parts you need, and a host of other things.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel,

Ya I read and re read that article a few times before I decided it was ok. It is important to get the stub axles along with the spindles caliper brackets and rotors. Other than that it's a straight forward swap from my measurements.

As for axles, this is a temporary fix for me until I can fab the D60 setup the way I want it. I plan on sticking the D70 under real soon perhaps a couple months. Bought the Caddy for the rear calipers and park brake cables. I just need to purchase a set of brackets, and rotors to have a disk brake D70 SWEEET!!!!

I will photo and document everything for a nice tech article for future use.

Let me know what parts you used Mel for your swap, I found a older external hub model diff just like the article. It will have to do for now.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An article will most likely be forthcoming. I hope to have it done by the end of the year.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An article will most likely be forthcoming. I hope to have it done by the end of the year.

Sounds great Mel, if I do one I'll for sure take pics n such, add part #'s as best I can as well so if needed the article can be added to. My front 8 bolt pieces are the external hub variety if I do purchase them, so rotors n such would be different #'s.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Stop stop stop...you do not NEED the larger core support. You only need it if you are going to do a ton of high "heat creating" driving. Use the factroy one for an 80s model bronco. My rad was HUGE but needed 12+ inches for the e-bay rad I purchased before I knew this was true. I am going to keep my 150 running hear unless I start to break stuff with the 6.9 and SC. I want to keep it as light as possible.

SWS

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop stop stop...you do not NEED the larger core support. You only need it if you are going to do a ton of high "heat creating" driving. Use the factroy one for an 80s model bronco. My rad was HUGE but needed 12+ inches for the e-bay rad I purchased before I knew this was true. I am going to keep my 150 running hear unless I start to break stuff with the 6.9 and SC. I want to keep it as light as possible.

SWS

Well that may work for you there seawalker, for me however and where I live which routinely in the summer exceeds 40c sometimes up to 45 c. Therefore, I will be using a proper diesel rad support, and I will be adding/fabbing the intercooler to the setup during the installation as well.

I beleive in say a more cooler environment you may be correct though for this application I feel much better with the plan in place.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your worst problem is going to be getting the cast up pipe for the factory turbo why did that not come with the kit from the parts mule? I know nothing about the core support or drive train issues. The ZF out of the 450 (or a 450) is a very good idea if you want to do the rear disk conversion because the 450 has a parking brake on the transmission or at least that's how I understood it. Good luck...sounds like it has been an eventful few months for you.