idi adapter to nv 4500

Moparminnion

Reaction score
Hello guys I recently came into a 7.3 donor truck and I would really like to convert the 350 in my dump truck to a 7.3
So we can run waste oil in it .
Truck in question is a 1970 C50 .
Has pto driven hydraulics and e brake on tail shaft so I don't really want to jack with the trans .
The 350 dose it's job just fine .
I've seen there is an adapter out there but I've been unable to find it .
I understand it's not a good " performance" mod ,but motivation isn't performance. Just want free fuel .

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Nv4500 didnt exist in '70. It's probably a Clark.

Your better off to find the Ford 5spd or IH trans with pto.

Moparminnion

Reaction score
Interesting .
I was told by a trans shop it was a NV4500 cast iron .
He even went on to explain that the newer 5 speed NV 45 came with aluminum cases in the 90s and I had an old cast iron case NV

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
First year for the NV4500 is '91 (Chevy) or '92 (Dodge gas). These have overdrive. New Process (before it became New Venture) did make a direct 5spd back then... model 540 or 542 comes to mind.

PTO's don't swap well between transmissions... very specific gear diameters and pitches despite the standardized bolt pattern. Modern ways to run a dump include an electric pack, or a belt-driven pump (more common now since manual trans have all but disappeared.) Otherwise, the ZF5 found with the IDI is a decent trans.

The easiest engines I can think of to bolt up to the original trans (providing it uses the std 'penthouse' shape chevy bell pattern) ... 6.2/6.5L diesel, or a cummins 6BT/4BT using the 4BT breadvan adapter and flywheel.